Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

creation of www address

Status
Not open for further replies.

HebieBug

Programmer
Jan 8, 2001
JP
Have secured a domain name which we will be using in the next couple of weeks. Am running a few tests before hand to insure a smooth inclusion into our system. Only thing is am a little stumped.
So we have the name registed with our static IP and then user types in our domain name. It gets directed to our IP and then through our router to our IIS. Have already opened our router up for IIS ports 80 and 21. The server resides on IP 192.168.0.10 router 192.168.0.1.
The main quesion is how do I get the request reconised and then forwarded to the appropriate area of the IIS.
Anyone have any ideas on how I should be configuring it. Was only have a cheap router at the moment and should have a CISCO router when this project goes ahead. Does it come back on the routers responsibility to reconise the request and then direct to appropriate IP and port number or is there something that I am missing in the IIS bundle.

Firstly port 21 is FTP so close it if you are not running an FTP server.
It sounds like you have a Linksys or SMC router so you need to get into the routers Admin page (type 192.168.0.1)and go to the Virtual Server page and it will give you the ability to open a port(s)and point to the correct Internal IP

Eg. Port 80-------------192.168.0.10
Port 25-------------192.168.0.13

Meaning requests from outside to port 80 will go to the 192.168.0.10 machine and SMTP will go to the .13 box.If I misunderstood and you have FTP as well then open up 20 and 21 with the same procedure.

Hope this helps.

Also a word of warning: FTP is a very unsecure protocol. Passwords are transmitted in clear text and it is a great way to open a huge security hole into your network. If your Web Server is going to sit outside of a Firewall then your should have FTP blocked. If you are in a DMZ and NATing through the Firewall then outside traffic to port 21 should be blocked but internal traffic may be let through at your personal discretion. Just remember in some places internal security is a bigger issue then external security. Wushutwist

Am using a Netgear router. The FTP side of it will only be onpen to one external computer. The files that are going to be sent are ranging above the maximum size of our external email and the site we are sending to.
If I attempt to login to our ISP IP from the LAN then the routers admin screen will pop up. If I do it externally then it will come up with page not found.
Sounds from your comments that it is more of an issue with the router then the IIS.
Just another quick one.
What if we where hosting duplicate web sites
and The DNS of InterNic would point to the same IP address. How would the router determine which virtual site to go to?

Okay, I can only comment on the, where to server the pages, based on the requested URL.
After, you have pointed the router to the internal server IP, the router must be able to relay host header information to IIS, so that IIS can server the appropriate pages based on host header information. The router might do this automatically or maybe not, I don't know.
Let's say that your IP is 1.1.1.1, your domain should be pointing to this IP, then, when the router receives a hit to this IP on port 80, it should pass it to your internal IP 192.168.0.10 where IIS is. In IIS, at root base, right-click in SERVERNAME and choose NEW > SITE, give it a name, and a directory from where the pages will be served, and input the host header information. That's it your site is ready to fly.. Just one more note on host headers, always give it two host headers per site like this: ' and 'yourdomain.com' as some people don't type the 'www' bit, both on port 80.
Later, if you purchase any other domain, just point it to your IP 1.1.1.1 and ADD another site with the new domain host header..

Hope it helps.

NightWatcher

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back