Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

creatinging halftones for PM7

Status
Not open for further replies.

louielouie

Technical User
Mar 7, 2002
US
(I use Adode Photoshop LE and PM7)
background: I work at a small newspaper and we're switching to InDesign. I mostly create ads and screen photos, usually the old-fashioned way using PMTs. I use PM7 for the ads, but havent found a way to screen the photos so it prints out all at once, instead of having to cut and paste.

question:
How do I place/export a haltone image into PM7? or is it even possible? I'm assuming that if I can make a screened .psd or .jpg in Photoshop, I should be able to do a File>Place and put it onto a PM page. am I wrong? I'm having the same trouble with tinted areas.

Also, I can get a screened .jpg to print out fine, but I'm not sure how to change the screen dpi setting even though I'm doing everything by the book. right now, the image looks like it's still at default (58 lines). Suggestions?

Is there a book or manual available that addresses these questions?

thanx in advance -

By default, PageMaker will just show you a low resolution preview of your TIF file. Regardless of the messy on-screen appearance, it will output just fine. If you need to see it more clearly, go to File>Preferences and set Graphics Display to High Resolution. Bear in mind working in this mode can bog your machine down some.
When in doubt, deny all terms and defnitions.

Louie,

it´s for me not clear, whether you mean by halftone a "photo"
or already an 1-bit B/W bitmap with raster cells, like newspaper print.
Do you mean by "screened image" the 1-bit bimap ?
Then it´s essential to use "MagicStretch" in PM.
a) Select in document preferences the resolution for the output device.
E.g. 2400 dpi for an Imagesetter. 600dpi for a Laser Printer.
b) Place 1-bit-bitmap (it´s linked then). Don´t embed.
c) Press CTRL and draw the corner of the image for the necessary size.
This is not possible continuously, it "clicks" for certain sizes.
These are the sizes where the dpi of the image and the dpi of the
output device is synchronized.

The screening has to be done in PhS (mode Grayscale/Bitmap). It´s not possible
to re-arrange an already screened 1-bit-bitmap in PM.
Select here the appropriate values for dpi/Lpi and the pattern, e.g. "dot/45°" .

Hope I didn´t misunderstand you ....

Best regards ---Gernot Hoffmann

You don't want to place halftones directly into PageMaker or InDesign if you can help it. Like zefit said in the previous post, you want to work with 8-bit/grayscale images whenever you can get away with it, and let your output device (laser printer, imagesetter, platemaker, etc.) determine your halftone screening on the output.

For pre-screned materials, you want to scan in at 100%, using 1-bit/bitmap/monochrome mode at the highest resolution your final output device will support. This is the same as shooting "dot-for-dot" on a process camera.

It's hard to provide details here, because I don't know a lot about your operations. Feel free to contact me directly if you'd like, and I can give you a more precise answer.

Randy Hagan
help@RandyHagan.com

I agree with vio8lin. When I bring a copy and paste tiff into pagemaker 6.5 It is quite poor quality. When I print it out it is fine.If you want to make sure of it's quality print out the one page only and you can verify our answers
I have used both win 98 and xp pro with pagemaker 6.5
good luck
tiffie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back