Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Creating Web Site Forms

Status
Not open for further replies.

bgreen39

Technical User
Oct 29, 2009
US
I have built some web sites with HTML and FrontPage but am really an amateur at it. Now I would like to add a form to a web site and then capture what the user inputs on the server side. What is the best tool to use to create the web page form? It should provide some help in specifying checks for valid input. I'm acquiring a copy of Dreamweaver but don't have it yet.

Then, once the filled in form is sent to the server, how do I go about extracting the form contents? I'm guessing JavaScript is the best tool but I would have to learn it.

This is a learning experience for me. Thanks for your help.

bgreen

I'm guessing JavaScript is the best tool but I would have to learn it.
You would be guessing incorrectly.

javascript is a client side operation, as audiopro states you need server side code to process the POSTed data.

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.
Webmaster Forum

I'd say learn the basics first before depending on an application like Frontpage or Dreamweaver to do them for you.

But yes as has been mentioned you'll need a server side language to process your form.

I recommend PHP, but you'll have to figure out what's available to you were you are hosting this webpage before you decide on one.

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Web & Tech

if you are using front page, then you're using MS products. Being that your new to development, WebMatrix may be a good choice. but if you don't undestand programming, then no server side processing will be easy to grasp.

Jason Meckley
Senior Programmer

faq855-7190
faq732-7259
My Blog

An easy way to tackle forms is to create an account at constant contact or mail chimp. they will allow you to create and embed forms in your website. There are also pre-made scripts and tools to help but forms are not the easiest topic when starting. Even after my years of doing this, forms still pose headaches.

Darryn Cooke
| Marketing and Creative Services

A remotely hosted form generator is the fast and easy solution for creating forms, even in which a beginner is concerned. I may recommend 123ContactForm, it helped me deal with the server side data management without having to code things myself. Of course, there are many others out there, but this one passed my test.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back