Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Creating VPN connection to Vista Workstation

Status
Not open for further replies.

CharlieT302

Instructor
Mar 17, 2005
US
Hi Folks,

This should be a simple question for some of you.

I am currently connecting to an office computer using Remote Desktop, but want to use VPN for added security.

The office network is a workgroup. There is no Server OS.

Here is what I have for Remote Desktop:
1.) I connect thru an Internet service that monitors the office Router's changing IP address.

2.) The Router keeps keeps the host computer's IP fixed.

3.) The listening port has been altered for added security.

Remote Desktop works great.

Questions:
1. Can I link to the office computer using VPN? The office computer is running Windows Vista Pro.

2. I am assuming I would connect using VPN and then make the RDP connection, correct?

3. If this can be done, what are the steps to do so?

Thanks

Some additional info:

1. The router is a D-link.
2. When connecting thru the Internet service, which forwards us to the correct IP, we use a link like:

OurCompany:3389

Where: OurCompany is the account on the Internet service, and 3389 is the port to which we are connecting.

I assume the VPN will connect to the router which would then forward to the connection to the correct PC.

Is this correct?
Will (can) the VPN use the connection string above?

Go into the network settings of the Vista PC and choose to allow incoming connections and go through the wizard. This will now accept incoming VPN connections.
Now all you need to do is port forward 1723 from the router to this IP of the Vista machine. Port 1723 is the PPTP protocol used for VPN. Now from the client create an outbound VPN connection (again using the wizards) that connects to "ourcomany". You need to provide a username and password. This is one you will have created on the Vista machine. Connect using this and it will work. Then you use RDP to connect to the internal IP address of any machine you wish to RDP to.

From the client side make sure the router supports PPTP Passthrough though.

MuckerMucker

Thank you very much. I just now was able to read the response. I also went online and reviewed other info on the connections. It left me with a couple of questions. It appears as though the VPN connects me to the PC just as RDP and allows me to access files.

1. Why then do I need RDP once I connect using VPN?
2. Also, we altered the listening port for RDP for security, since the default port is well-known. Is this possible with VPN? Is it even necessary to do so? I didn't see the port in RegEdit.

Thanks

VPN just adds to to the network. It does it exactly what it says on the tin - a "virtual private network". Imagine you are on a PC in the same office where the PC is you want to RDP to. You will have to RDP to it if you want control of it don't you? well the same principle applies when VPN. it is like your home PC is now on the LAN but you still need to RDP to it.

2. no it won't be a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back