Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Creating Volume Group for Oracle data

Status
Not open for further replies.

KOG

MIS
Jan 31, 2002
GB
Hi folks,

Can anyone shed a light in this problem when trying to create a NEW volume group for oracle data. I am trying to add hdisk1 to new volume group and got this error message?

I am puzzled by its outputs? Is it something to do with the changing the number of partitions for the size of disk allocated?

Thanking you all in advance.

Regards

Katherine [cry]

COMMAND STATUS

Command: failed stdout: yes stderr: no

Before command completion, additional instructions may appear below.

0516-1208 mkvg: Warning, The Physical Partition Size of 4 requires the
creation of 2169 partitions for hdisk1. The system limitation is 1016
physical partitions per disk at a factor value of 1. Specify a larger
Physical Partition Size or a larger factor value in order create a
volume group on this disk.
0516-862 mkvg: Unable to create volume group.

Given your current PP size, your drive has more that 1016 PP. Use the "-t" of mkvg to increase your factor. How big is this drive? Try 2 or 3..

nixcon.

Hi Nixcon,

What does the value 2 or 3 stand for?

Regards

Katherine

Hi,

Will read the info many thanks

Katherine

Katherine,

What the error message was telling you is that you were trying to add the physical disk to the volume group with the default physical partition size of 4 MB per partition. There is a limit of 1016 pysical partitions that can be on a disk in a volume group. A physical partition size of 4 MB is OK for small disks, but too small for a larger disk.

When you create your volume group, you can select the size of the physical partition. (It's the second box in the smit panel for creating a volume group.) If you have a 9 GB disk, you need a PP size of 8 (if I remember correctly). If you have 18 GB disks, you will need a physical partition size of 32 MB. If you have a larger disk, you will probably have to go up to 64 MB.

I would try again and keep increasing the size of the PP until smit likes it and creates the VG. Or, do the math to determine the size you need.

Keep in mind, you don't want the PP to be too big, because it can be somewhat of a space waster if, for example, you only need a 26 MB filesystem and the size of the physical partition is 64 MB.

Hi Folks,

I have tried following all your advices and suggestions but the problem is still there and I can't even create a volume group with one disk.

# mkvg -t 4 oracledata hdisk1
0516-1193 mkvg: WARNING, once this operation is completed, volume group
cannot be imported into AIX 430 or lower versions. Continue (y/n) ?
y
0516-794 mkvg: oracledata is not configured. Please configure
the disk before trying this command again.
# mkvg -s 2 -t 4 oracledata hdisk1
0516-1193 mkvg: WARNING, once this operation is completed, volume group
cannot be imported into AIX 430 or lower versions. Continue (y/n) ?
y
0516-794 mkvg: oracledata is not configured. Please configure
the disk before trying this command again.
#

Any idea why?

Thanking you all in advance

Regards

Katherine

Hi Klasan,

It worked ! Many thanks

Regards

Katherine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search