Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Creating Two Aliases for One User

Status
Not open for further replies.

esandrs

MIS
Mar 19, 2002
US
We have a number of people on our Exchange 2k system who would like to have two aliases - both Jim and James [LastName] for example. I know I can create two SMTP addresses for mail coming in from the outside to route to the one user's mailbox, but can I also somehow tell Exchange to accept both names internally for the same user?

The only way I can think to do it right now is to create a second "dummy" user account and have everything moved from the dummy account to the user's. Please let me know I'm being slow and that there is an easier way I'm overlooking.

Thanks,
Eric Sanders
-Just some guy on a board

You can create what ever alias you want for the account j.lastname, jim.lastname, james.lastname and it will route to that user.
Internally, type it in the to line it will resolve.
cntr k should prove this.. Exchange should resolve any alias to a mailbox internally or externally.

Thanks Chaupa, but either I don't understand your response or it doesn't help me. I want one account that I can, from an Outlook client on the Exchange server, type "Jim Lastname" or "James Lastname" and have both be resolved and go to the same person.

It appears that I can only set one alias per user, but I want to set two. I know I can change to either Jim or James, but my user isn't satisfied with that - he wants *both* to work!

I guess I may just have to tell him to get used to disappointment.

Eric Sanders
-Just some guy on a board.

It sounds like you want to recieve the e-mail in the form of the alias. I believe it will resolve to the display name.

I don't know if this is the best way, but couldn't you create additional "contacts" in the directory and point them to the user's original address? Then you could make the "display name" anything you wanted. It'd sure mess up your Global Address List though!

Yeah, this is the only way we can think to do it internally - which is why we currently don't allow people to have two aliases. It looks like it may just be "not supported".

I don't know if this is the best way, but couldn't you create additional "contacts" in the directory and point them to the user's original address? Then you could make the "display name" anything you wanted. It'd sure mess up your Global Address List though!

It isn't "not supported" :) Just not a feature!

The contact sounds like the best thing. That way it works on a check name or from the GAL. It will have the contact symbol though. Dan
Microsoft Exchange Support @ Microsoft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back