Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Creating thumbnails < 2 or 3kb for web

Status
Not open for further replies.

BG12424

Programmer
Jun 4, 2002
US
I have a client on a Mac using Photoshop that would like to know what the exact steps to resize an image in photoshop to give it the exact pixel dimensions 50X50 and have the total document size be less than 2k and saved for web? She is creating a photo gallery and needs to create thumbnails, but getting the thumbs less than 2 or 3k seems to be a problem for her. I have no problems on my IBM-compatible PC, but for her, she can't seem to get the thumbnails lower than 7k, but typically, they're around 15kb. She is following the same steps as I do when I try to save the photos for the web, which are File > Save for Web, then adjust the quality of the photo and view status for size reduction. She actually sees this as the size i see, but when saved, it jumps up in size.

Any ideas as to what could be happening and how to fix it? Thanks

regards,
Brian

I'm not a MAC user so I can't be MAC specific but I have a question:

Have you tried your test using the exact photo she uses?

If she's checking size in Finder, she should not worry as that is the result of HFS II (OSX) file system.

When you save for web, PS will give you the size and guess at a download time for a given connection speed. That's what counts.

Using OSX 10.3.9 on a G4

jmgalvin is correct, i pondered about this recently also as many images I was exporting from save for web were saying bytes in pshop and resulting in 4k files in finder.. this is due to the minimum cluster size.

You can also use 'Optimize to filesize' under the 'save for web' drop-down. This gives you an option to compress the image according to a specific file size

Thank you for the posts.

1. Yes, I have used her photos that she is working with and had success sizing it down further.
2. When I'm given the file that she saved for web, it's 15kb, when I save for web it's < 2kb. We're more concerned with the final file size.

regards,
Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back