Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Creating templates in word 2000 - locking objects

Status
Not open for further replies.

midKnight

IS-IT--Management
Jun 17, 2002
US
Hi, I'm relatively new to doing any sort of template work in word 2000, however I have a need to create a set of templates using word 2000, and I have a big question in reguards to the creation of templates.

I'm familar with how to create document templates in word 2000, however to me, one of the biggest reasons for using a template is the ability to have graphics, text blocks, and other items placed on the template in a NON-EDITABLE form.

So far, every template I have created, when basing a new document off of the template, Im able to move the items on the template around. This to me is unacceptable, there's no point for the having a template if I can modify it from a document.

So I figure I must be missing a really simple way to lock objects on the template, rendering them non-moveable.

If anyone has any thoughts on how to accomplish this, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!
Nick
midknight1@hotmail.com

Hi there, I am not 100% sure if this works for graphic objects but I think it does. Take a look at the Forms toolbar, (right click on another toolbar and you will see all your toolbars available). There is a button at the very end to lock the form. This toolbar also allows you to insert fields, so when you lock the form the user can ONLY tab through and type in the spaces where you have placed a feild. Hope this helps...I know Dreamboat has some great information on her website about Word Forms.
Dawn

midKnight,
In addition to Dawn's comments:

If you wish to protect an object - you need to section it off with section breaks.

Then go to tools, protection
choose forms, then select the sections which contain the objects.

Hope this helps.
AngO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back