Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Creating services from applications in Server2008

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReK410

IS-IT--Management
Sep 18, 2003
US
In the Windows Server 2003 Resource Kit there was a tool called srvany.exe that turns applications into services.

Now, on my Windows 2008 server, I have applications and bat files that I would like to automate as services but this application is not available in the 2008 resource kit.

Does anyone know of any alternatives for srvany.exe that will allow me to turn applications and bat files into services in Windows Server 2008?

Have you tried using that tool on 2008 server? Many Windows 2000 resource kit tools work just fine on 2003, I see no reason that woudl not still be the case, of course the tool would make a 32 bit service rather than 64 bit. But, still should work.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Check out my scripting solutions at
Work SMARTER not HARDER. The Spider's Parlor's Admin Script Pack is a collection of Administrative scripts designed to make IT Administration easier! Save time, get more work done, get the Admin Script Pack.

Hi, unfortunately the program won't run on 2008. I'm not sure if it's because of the 32bit vs 64bit or something else. It just said something about the program not being compatible with the OS :-(

Try running in compatibility mode.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Check out my scripting solutions at
Work SMARTER not HARDER. The Spider's Parlor's Admin Script Pack is a collection of Administrative scripts designed to make IT Administration easier! Save time, get more work done, get the Admin Script Pack.

Any news on this? Were you able to find a good solution?

No news unfortunately. I think I'm just stuck waiting until some third-party app thats Win08/64bit compatible is released.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back