Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Creating Roaming profiles 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarge

Technical User
Feb 12, 2001
US
I need to setup a company with Raoming profiles on a Windows 2000 active directory Domain. Does anyone have a step by step how-to in doing this? I have tried Windows help on creating them but have issues when I try to log on as the user; and i think its because of the path i have created for the user profile. Can i put this path anywhere on an server on my Domain? It is really frustrating following these directions and having it not work. Thanks
%-(

Hello

Create a folder on the server with the correct permision and share the folder.Go to active directory users and computer right click on the user go to properties on the Profile Tab put the UNC Address \\servername\sharename\%username% leave the %username% don't put any particular username and you should have the roaming profiles sets.If you want to create more user with roaming profiles just click on the firt user name and copy and that should take you to the steps of creating new user accounts...

Thanks, this will work fine. I did notice that when i created the path on the profiles tab in the path field the %username% variable changed to the username, i guess this is normal.Thanks for all the info.

Roaming Profiles basics:

You can use roaming profiles (desktop icons, settings, my documents folder, start menu shortcuts, etc will be preserved no matter the client computer logged into. Create a network shared folder (must be available to network from the computer you create it on) with default share permissions (example: call it user$ on server1). In NTFS permissions (security tab), use the advanced button in NTFS permission and highlight everyone. Click the view/edit button and change the permissions to "List folder/read data" and "create folders/append data" only. In active directory users and computers, go to the profile tab for your users and set the profile path to \\server1\user$\%username% for each user you wish to use roaming profiles. When a user logs on, it will use the roaming profile. A folder will be created for each roaming user in \\server1\user$ by the system and will give each user exclusive rights only to their profile folder.
You also can redirect local paths for them as well using the same technique.
Notice that I used a dollar sign in the share. That makes it a hidden share and it won't be visible in my network places/network neighborhood but it is there. (do start>run>\\server1\share$ and you will see it).

Profiles are stored in the share and then cached to the client when they log in. When the client logs off, the profile is supposed to be synchronized back to the share.
Since you are storing all the profiles in one location, you may wish to institute quotas on the drive they are stored to keep users from filling it up with meaningless junk. Quotas must be in place on the drive before any users write to it or you will have to manually add users to the quota list that already have files written to the drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back