Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Creating roaming profiles for Win7 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leozack

MIS
Oct 25, 2002
GB
Hi guys - has anyone found how to create a roaming profile as a network template using win7 Under XP it was fairly simple - make a profile how you want, logon locally as admin and goto local profiles and hit 'copy to' on your desired profile and set premissions to everyone and then copy it to a network share and point AD users to it as a roaming profile (and maybe make the .dat a .man for mandatory use).

But on win7 no matter what I do the "copy to" buttoni s grey and I can't find a solution anywhere. I'm currently manually going through setting all file and reg hive permissions in the .dat to everyone full control in the hope that it will work for anyone as a roaming profile, but that's not cool!

Yes, you are correct in your findings that the 'Copy To...' button is disabled for all profiles, except the Default Profile. Microsoft no longer supports the old method many are familiar with for customizing the Default Profile. Instead the process now is much more involved using Microsoft deployment tools and Sysprep. Many do not want to get into a complex task for creating and copying a profile template. So, where there is a will, there is a way. There are users that have found workarounds for this particular issue. The simplest way is using a utility called "Windows Enabler," which enables the greyed out button for copying the profile. From reading various forum postings, this utility does not always work without flaw. Of all the tutorials for workarounds I have read, the following is probably the cleanest method. The author of this tutorial uses this method for creating a default, mandatory profile for students in a school environment.

- Windows 7 Mandatory Profile Setup

If you would like to see and/or try the supported method, I have provided a link to the beginning of a detailed series of this process.

- Customizing the Default User Profile in Windows 7 (Part 1)

Joey
CCNA, MCSA 2003, MCP, A+, Network+, CWTS

That first link is perfect - if that works then it's not really much more trouble than it used to be - just you have to rename the profile you setup to be called default and then use the copyto button on the default profile same as you used to on any prepared profile. If that all works right then woohoo :D If it doens't then noooooooooo :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back