Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

creating Report Definition File

Status
Not open for further replies.

dh42891

Technical User
Oct 7, 2003
US
I am trying to streamline report generation from ArcMap (GIS software that uses CR to create reports from in-document data). To do this, it seems that I need to create an RDF file, but I can find almost zero information about RDFs, how to generate one, how to manipulate them, etc. Are there any resources available? Has anyone worked with them? Thanks,

dylan

RDF or report definition file is produced by the export button in crystal, it has to be installed if not available. But I am unsure if this is what exacty you need because it gives the report structure, not an output file like you are thinking.

Thanks so much!
satinsilhouette

In my version, if I select the Report Definition export format, it saves a TXT file, not an .rdf file. That's what I don't get either, I've scoured the web for references to RDF format and Crystal Reports, but all I've come up with is a couple references suggesting you can 'save as...' or export, but no where do I see that option available.

dylan

The Report Definition File is a text file or .TXT thats how its exported as its meant to be a readable file.

It basically gives you a complete breack down section by section of the report detailing what objects are in each section i.e cross-tabs, formulas, fields, text objects etc..

The only time I use it is to attach to the end of my documentation as an appenix, but the format it is exported in is not the most readable so I usually end up creating my own.

HTH

-Steve

"if at first you don't succeed, sky diving is not for you"!!! :eek:)

Ah, okay, do you know what a .rdf file is then? I saw .rdf refered to as a Report Definition File and went with it, but it seems it is something altogether different?

dylan

I haven't heard of RDF, no offence but you sure it wasn't .rtf?

-Steve

This is all I can find on RDF and don't think its applicable with Crystal Reports.

The Resource Description Framework (RDF) is a language for representing information about resources in the World Wide Web. It is particularly intended for representing metadata about Web resources, such as the title, author, and modification date of a Web page, copyright and licensing information about a Web document, or the availability schedule for some shared resource. However, by generalizing the concept of a "Web resource", RDF can also be used to represent information about things that can be identified on the Web, even when they cannot be directly retrieved on the Web. Examples include information about items available from on-line shopping facilities (e.g., information about specifications, prices, and availability), or the description of a Web user's preferences for information delivery.

RDF is intended for situations in which this information needs to be processed by applications, rather than being only displayed to people. RDF provides a common framework for expressing this information so it can be exchanged between applications without loss of meaning. Since it is a common framework, application designers can leverage the availability of common RDF parsers and processing tools. The ability to exchange information between different applications means that the information may be made available to applications other than those for which it was originally created.

-Steve

Do you mean UDF??? A User Defined Functions file.

-Dell

A computer only does what you actually told it to do - not what you thought you told it to do.

Nope, I am 100% certain I am looking for information about .rdf files for Crystal Reports. Thanks though,

dylan

Thanks elsenorjose, but if you'll notice Steve (TheBlondOne) and I already discussed and ruled that information irrelevant.

I am promted for a [bold].rdf file[/bold]. Perhaps I should make it more clear that I am working from within ESRI ArcMap using CRXI components when I am prompted.

Is it possible to change a thread title? I will try to find somewhere to host a screenshot to help clarify. Thanks again for the suggestions,

dylan

You were asking for information on how to create an RDF file, correct? This page has all that information. Here's one link:

It's the model definition.

Just as there are several ways to create an XML file, there are surely several ways to generate and RDF file. But I think understanding the model would be the first step, no?

Regardless, best of luck in the search. I'm sure the answer's out there somewhere!

J

Ah, okay, I follow you now. I'm not sure that RDF is the same RDF I'm being asked for though. It very well may be, but it seems to be asking for something Crystal Reports outputs (i.e. instead of saving as a .rpt or .rtf. Again, I don't really know, but I'm under the impression that it's a file CR creates and I subsequently load. But, if we are talking about the same 'RDFs' then building one from scratch will not be the solution we need.

dylan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back