Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

creating permissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimrawr

MIS
Oct 8, 2005
US
Hey everyone... I have a database, and i need certain people to be able to view only, and other to be able to change things. I was playing around a little bit and I somehow set it so only I can view the database from my computer... how can I turn this off?

And then, whats the best way to add groups? I cant seem to figure it out :(

is there anyway to simply remove the workgroup?

If I just copy/paste the Table and Forms into a new database, will that work ok or will I lose anything?

Hi,

Without knowing exactly what you did when you were first "playing around a little bit" it's hard to say.

First off, you can find which workgroup you're joined to by running the Workgroup Administrator (C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\1033\WRKGADM.EXE in Win 2K)- as a default, you want to be joined to C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\SYSTEM.MDW

BUT there are two golden rules when working with Access security - take backups, and read and understand the principles. There is a lot of reading, but it's worth the effort - in fact, it's the only way. If you don't understand what's going on, one day it will all go horribly wrong. Sorry, but you just can't do Access security 'quick and dirty'....

Once you have read up on the links in my last post, you should be able to work out what you've done, and therefore how to recover from it.

Hope this helps,

Bob.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back