Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Creating .PCK packages?

Status
Not open for further replies.

baldhead

Technical User
Apr 27, 2004
US
can you create compressed .PCK packages w/o specifying a distribution point? I want to send a package to a remote distribution point across a WAN link but want to use the PreloadPkgOnSite.exe utility to transfer this package. from my understanding of the how this utility works, you must first transfer the .PCK to the SMSPKG$ directory on the remote distribution point and then run PreloadPkgOnSite.exe followed by adding the distribution point to the package. If I add the remote distribution point the .PCK will get created but the package will also begin sending as well.

Back to my original question, how can I create this initial .PCK w/o starting to send the package?

thanks

If I remember this right....

PCK files arent ever on a DP they are on site servers (primary and secondaries) when they go to the DP's the are no longer compressed (unless you tell them to stay compressed)

So other than all that, I think this is what your after here. You dont want huge packages going over the wire. SO what you do is just dont include a dp in your distribution and use the preloadpkgonsite.exe

Package Loader Tool
Used to load a package onto a site manually. This prevents a central site from sending a package to a child site by a sender. The tool is useful for organizations that must add a large number of packages to distribution points on primary or secondary sites that are connected by slow network links.

That comes from the SMS toolkit@

My problem is that in order to make the .PCK files I must have a remote distribution point available. They are only created when SMS sees that it's supposed to send a package over a WAN link. I want to make these .PCK files w/o a distribution point. How is that accomplished?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back