Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Creating paging files

Status
Not open for further replies.

Echevarian

Programmer
Feb 3, 2003
US
ok ive read about mhy low virtual memory warnings come up and everything, and my question is this: i have 2 harddrives... a 20 gig, w/ win xp (and thats it) and an 80 gig w/ everything else on it... should my paging file be on the 20 or the 80? should i have one on both? i have 384 rdram, and my paging file was set at 576 mb i do believe, and i still got the warning... any suggestions??

Complain to M$! (I've had stupid mesages like this, when task manager is showing 250MB of RAM free). I'm sure they'll be some smart answers, but as far as I'm concerned its a bug in XP.

For best performance, put a fixed size (max & min same)paging file on the 80 GB disk. Best done after disk defragged, so it all goes in one place.

Just to add on to wolluf, the general concensus is to set the size of the paging file to 2 1/2 times the amount of physical ram.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back