Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Creating Online Database using Access 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kulla

Technical User
Jul 30, 2002
US
How can I go about putting a MS ACCESS db online?

Hi Kulla,

You upload your database to a remote server(your web host), then you create DSN or a DSNless connection to it. Then you can use any of the CGI codes to create pages that will pull/enter information from/to your db.

Regards,
JoJoH

Inform me if I am being too general [smile]

Regards,
JoJoH

Actually this crossed my mind as well.

I've got Access 2000 and I've played around with the page builder inside to make a data access page.

The problem is no matter what I try I cannot actually ENTER the data.

ANy sugguestions?

Spyder757

Hi Spyder757,

Do you mean that the field is there but it just won't let you enter info in there? All the fields? Or is it just some of the fields?

Regards,
JoJoH

ASP.NET provides a simple way to combine both HTML and VB to run Access databases on the NET. You can use the OleDb connection between the aspx pages and the database. Requires your server to be running dot NET but that should not be a problem. Would be glad to share aspx pages with anyone looking into this (I have an Access web site up at built completely from Notepad - runs clickable charts, etc...).

Anyway, dot NET is one way to go - and very simple indeed.

JoJoh I can view the records in the fields like a forum, but I just can't add or edit the data.

Spyder757

Hi,

I have came across this problem too before, and there are a few criteria that might be causing this problem. Now, how did you create the Data Access Page? Did you use the wizard, or did you use the “design view”? The next question only applies to only if you are not able to enter data into SOME of the fields: Observe the fields that you cannot enter data into, what do they have in common that might be keeping you from entering data into them? Their data types? Their controls? If you cannot enter data into ALL of the fields, also check the properties to see what is keeping you from entering data into them, Also keep in mind, if you Promote the fields, you will not be able to enter data into them. The reason why I ask you these questions is so that I know where to start troubleshooting.

Let me know how you are doing.

Regards,
JoJoH

I used the Wizard.

It doesn't seem to prompt for many options, it just sort of makes the page.

When I use it I can't enter/change the data any ANY fields.

Spyder757

Try this: Start up the Data Access Page Wizard, in the first dialog box, it ask you to select the table and fields for your data access page, select the table, and just select dump ALL of the fields to the right. The next dialog box ask for grouping levels, if you see a field in blue at the top, demote it(click the left arrow), otherwise ignore the dialog box and click next. The next dialog box ask for sorting level, ignore it and click next, in the next dialog box select finish. Now a brand new Data Access Page opens up, don't do any thing to it, just switch to Page view(click on the top left button on your page).You should be able to enter information into all of the fields except the AutoNumber field(if you have one). I am actually stepping through this with you, I had my Data Access Page Wizard open and I created the page and it seems fine to me. Tell me how yours go, if it still doesn't work, then we will see what we can do about it. If you have done the above things EXACTLY before, let me know and we will try something else. [smile]

Regards,
JoJoH

if you are attempting to write to the db from a browser over the web, the directory in which the db resides must be writable. you can ask your isp to make it writable, but you open yourself up to the risk of a hack.

rob

I followed that step by step and end up with what I also end up with.

A web page that has all my fields and I cannot type in any of them.

Hell I can't even put the cursor in the field to type anything.

Another interesting thing is if I use the wizard, or build a page from scratch and add a button with the "Add New Record" function, and then go and use the button I get the following error message:

"You can't add a new record or delete an existing record because the record set for the page is read only"

However if I go into design view and look at the properties of each text box the "Read Only" box is set to "False.

FYI, I don't have this installed on a server. I've got it on my desktop of a Win98 machine running Access 2000 and IE 5.

Though i've tried it on my workstation at work which is Win2000 with Access 2000 and IE 5 and got the same results.

If there are already records in the table then I can scroll through them, but I cannot edit, nor add new ones.

Anyway thanks for your help, but don't worry about it, this isn't something I actually need, I was just wondering how it was done.

Spyder757

Hi,
JOJOH, could you please explain the DSN part, where would i get the CGI code from?
thanks

Hi Kulla,

Have you went on a vacation? [smile] Haven't heard from you for such a long time since you started this thread. Anyways, a DSN means data source name, it is what you use to connect to your database. Go to this F&Q faq333-178 by jfriestman, it will show you different ways to connect to your database, DSN or DSNless.

Let me know how if you have any questions. I'm here to assist.[smile]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back