Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Creating new root volume on NetApp F740

Status
Not open for further replies.

timstoel

Technical User
Jun 4, 2007
US
I have just acquired a NetApp F740 with 6 DS9 shelves loaded with 36gb drives. However, the root volume is no longer there, so the system doesn't boot. What do I need to do to reinstall the software? Thanks for your help. Tim

Do you need to recover the data on all shelves ? If not : boot into maintenance mode, and select to zero disks and create traditional volume.After that , you will have a root volume on your filer, but you should install the ontap version again,because java will most likely not work ( for filerview ).

rgds,

R.

What ontap version did you plan on putting on it? You could just as easily put three of the disks in a RAID DP group in an aggregate and create a root vol from there. There's no specific reason for the root vol to be on a trad vol.

There are no Data ONTAP 7.x releases for the F740. Therefore you cannot implement aggregates and flexvols since they were not introduced until ONTAP 7.0 However, on a system where a 7.x release was available, I'd go with a 3-disk raid-dp root volume.

Yup, that's my mistake. 6.5.7 is GA for the 740.
Starting with the FAS8XX you can go to 7.0.X

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back