Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Creating new network connections - scripting

Status
Not open for further replies.

brent01

Technical User
Jul 11, 2001
GB
I frequently have to setup XP pc's. One of the tasks is creating a new network / dialup connection, using the New Connection Wizard on each PC. The details / options for the new connection (name, tel. no.) are always the same.

Is there any way of automating / scripting this? Also the properties for the connections are always the same to i.e. Country code, Area code, TCP/IP properties / DNS addresses, can these setting be included changed as part of a script.

Maybe I should post this query on another thread, but if anyone has any ideas, I would be grateful to hear them. There must be some way of simplyfying this repetitive task.

Thanks

Create an answer file for the install? (\support\tools on the install CD has a Deploy.cab. Copy it into a folder - look at the deploy.chm help file).

There are quite a few ways but the Easiest I have found is to use the "Internet Explorer Administration Kit". It is a free download from Microsoft. It makes an Install that is unique for you. You can change alot of things including the connection settings.
You then run the install that you built and it will upgrade IE with the changes you have made. It will do as little as is needed, or as much. So, if the current version is up to date it will only take a few minutes, yet if the version is old it will do a complete upgrade.
You can even automate this to run when a person logs in, and they will not even see it happen.

Jon

There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge. (Bertrand Russell)

I like Jontmke's answer. As an alternative:

1. Connectoids can be copied between machines.
2. TCP/IP settings can be dumped on one machine and restored on the new machines using NETSH.

Look into the netsh command line tool. Im positive it can do network connections via command line, but im not sure about dial connections.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back