Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Creating new intranet for dummies 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrB0b

IS-IT--Management
May 19, 2011
US
Hello to the very knowledgeable TekTippers. We have our intranet set up on a Drupal backend and have for well before I signed on with the company. It's fine, it does the job for the most part. IT has to be the one who makes any changes to it since most people do not have even a basic HTML coding knowledge which is fine. Since IT is usually busy with more important things than making sure someone is recognized with the birthday congrats on the intranet front page, management would like us to shop a new intranet that is so user friendly almost anyone can keep it up to date. Does anyone have a recommendation on what backend to use that would be super friendly to someone in our business ops dept? I've been googling around but the majority of stuff now days seems to be cloud based and I would rather keep it in house as it has sales figures and some other semi private info. Does anyone have any productive thoughts on this request? Anyone able to vouch for a certain software that could do the trick? Free or paid makes no difference. Just need to find something that might fit the ask.

Learning - A never ending quest for knowledge usually attained by being thrown in a situation and told to fix it NOW.

We use Drupal for our company's intranet. It is configured for several authors/editors and very few of them know what HTML is.

Your issue is likely that your current intranet is not configured well. Whether you upgrade to a current Drupal release or choose another system, your company will still need to configure the system for ease of use.

It is most definitely an old version of Drupal. I will have to grab versioning info and see how far behind we are. Maybe we are just in the stone age with our version....

Learning - A never ending quest for knowledge usually attained by being thrown in a situation and told to fix it NOW.

On older Drupal versions (like 5/6/7), you can go to http://[YOUR_INTRANET]/CHANGELOG.txt to see the version.

On newer Drupal versions, you can view the HTML source in the browser and look for the meta name="Generator".

Yup, we are on an older version of 7. Apparently Im basically building a new server/drupal install and importing settings/config from my old setup as there is no seamless upgrade path to either 8 or 9. Not that this server doesnt need some love anyway, just more work to take care of. Thanks for the info Jim.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back