Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Creating New DB

Status
Not open for further replies.

crashc123

Technical User
Oct 3, 2001
US
Okay I am starting from scratch, I want to move huge amounts of paper reports, logs, drawings, etc. to a database. Would Like to search not only by reportname and type but also by content. Also would like to be able to put this on the internet.

My questions are:
1) How to move it all to electronic data? use PDF format? or is there another way to go?

2) What kind of DB should I use?

Would also like to analyze and compare the information for similarities and then create reports.

I have done some very simple DB's (these started with a form to fill out)but nothing of this scope and am at a loss, any help would be appreciated.

I would start search the internet on Electronic Document Management. There are lots of applications out there. If you insist in reinventing the wheel, at least you can pick up some ideas, looking at how others have done it.
Databases you use for data which have something in common.
Reports, drawings, etc. are different animals.
How you will put the properties of a cow and a car in the same table.

Regards S. van Els
SAvanEls@cq-link.sr

Thanks svanels, I didn't want to program the thing so I will definately look into that. Just really didn't know where to start.

The drawings are technical drawings of the content of the reports.But I get the picture, Maybe they could be held in a seperate table by drawing number?

btw do you know of any specific programs I should check out?

Thanks

When I need to do a search on the net I use an utility called webferret.
Download it at
I found 261 links, about electronic document management

Something usefull should be in it.

About putting the drawingnumber in a table, the next thing your customers will ask is to start up a program showing the drawing when you click on the number.

Regards

Regards S. van Els
SAvanEls@cq-link.sr

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back