Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Creating index - manually tag each name? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ruffian

Technical User
Jan 21, 2004
US
Am I missing something or do I have to manually index mark each name (of which there are over 2,000 contained in 18 chapters in the book)? I thought that one could earmark a style to include in an index. Is it possible to do a search and replace with index markers? The looming task of clicking on each entry isn't appealing. Suggestions - certainly others must have encountered similar situations.

I was hopeful by the links, but after testing IndexMatic, it does not capture the entire name. Because the names are defined by a paragraph style (due to imported data), a first name and the last name are separate entries and are listed as such in the resulting output. Any other suggestions?

I did a quick Google search and found this...
Don't know if it will help you or not.

Can I also point out.

I layout books for a living, very large books... in Australia, Publishers use specific people for Indexing these large books. There is a whole association for these people.

That means, it's hard...

There is no easy way to do this...

Sorry for the negativity, just thought I'd mention it...

Marcus

Thanks for the comment (albeit negative). I'm messing around with some search and replace functions (GREP) to try to at less reduce the repetition (and carpal tunnel syndrome).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back