Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Creating forms?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WilliamUT

IS-IT--Management
Oct 8, 2002
US
Is there a library or something to create forms with vbscript? Im thinking about passing our business computer policy in a script...if they accept the policy it logs their username and date they accepted and which pc they were on...if they dont it logs them off of the computer. Anyways the policy is so big it wont all fit into a message box so i was going to try and make a form but dont know how...i do have vb.net and vb6 but dont see a way to create vb scripts in it ...any help would be appreciated thanks!

Bill

There are numerous ways to do this, most of them involving a Microsoft forms package such as Forms 2.0 (free with the free download of either VB5CCE or ActiveX Control Pad - can't recall which), or a third-party package.

These can be hard to find good docs on, and they can require you to make an installation package and deploy it on every machine.

My preference is the good ol' HTA (HTML Application).

Either you know a little DHTML or you can surely find oodles of free docs (MSDN Library online for starters) and an enormous tonnage of books. If you have the basics of DHTML down, the step to creating HTAs is trivial.

Look here and scroll down to a little teaser tidbit on HTAs as well as a downloadable sample and a link to a Microsoft article about HTAs. The sample has an installer (which itself is an HTA!!!) that in turn installs a second sample HTA.

The actual sample HTA is just four files:[ul][li]the .HTA file itself
[li]a .ICO icon file (you don't need this)
[li]a .LPK license package file (only needed if your HTA uses licensed ActiveX controls)
[li]and a .CAB file for the common dialog control that the sample uses (also optional if you don't use this control)[/ul]
In many cases you can make an HTA that is just a single file, assuming you don't need an icon or any graphics or any ActiveX controls the user doesn't already have installed and properly licensed (an HTA, just like an HTM requires either a developer license on the machine, or an LPK to prove the page's developer was licensed).

You can do some really fancy stuff, pretty much anything a WSH script can do, without worrying about those controls and licenses though.

HTAs rule! I can't imagine very many reasons why a scripter would use anything else if they need a user interface. I even have a project (on the shelf) to adapt somebody's WSH script that is an actual (teeny) web server to be an HTA instead so that I have a console I can use that shows what's up and what's been going on with its usage. Yes, a web server written in 100% VBScript (well, with a little help from the Winsock Control)!!! A toy? No question - yet cute, hmm?

P.S.

We have a similar "policy" thang that comes up every time you log on at work too. It makes the user press an "I Accept" button, and it becomes quite the "speed bump" in the morning.

Ours was done using a Flash-like tool.

I have a start-up VBScript that looks for this thing and auto-presses the button so I don't have to fool with it. ;-)

Can you say "arms race?" LOL

Anybody have a script that'll shock the guy who put this thing on my computer - every time it comes up? Just kidding... I think. Maybe I'll settle for one that dials his pager each time. Hope they get those paging web services up soon.

FormBoy is what you may be looking for. do a search on google for formboy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back