Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Creating files on the Users Local Hard Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

davejoyce

Programmer
Jun 26, 2000
US
Visit site
Is there a way through CFFILE or some other way to create a file on the users local hard drive? For instance to save the results of a query into an excel file?<br><br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Thanks,<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Dave Joyce

If you could save files to users local hard drives, then there there would be a lot of pissed off people being infected with viruses, having their private data copied, and general mayhem. Not to mention the fact it would be illegal.<br><br>All you can do is create the file on your server and provide the user with a link to download it.<br><br><br> <p>Russ Michaels<br><a href=mailto:russ@satachi.com>russ@satachi.com</a><br><a href= Internet Development</a><br>For my personal book recommendations visit <br>

The intent was for the user to request the file to be generated. This is a regular practice in the case of the user having an option to save a file to their hard disk. Any attachments to e-mail allow the user to save the attached file to their hard disk, so I don't think that this is cutting edge or invasive.<br><br>&nbsp;&nbsp; <p>Dave Joyce<br><a href=mailto:DaveJoyce@hotmail.com>DaveJoyce@hotmail.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

&quot;For instance to save the results of a query into an excel file?&quot; --&gt; yes you can, you have to use the cfcontent tag <br><br>this works fine :<br>&lt;CFCONTENT TYPE=&quot;text/csv&quot;&gt;the name of the fields separated with ;<br>&lt;CFOUTPUT QUERY=&quot;...&quot;&gt;#...#;#...#&lt;/CFOUTPUT&gt;<br><br>i'm not sure this one is fine for excel but the idea is here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back