Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Creating dynamic cross reference links in a Word document 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

sumgait

Programmer
Jun 14, 2001
CA
We have a client that has created a word 2000 template for his office. This template will make reference to sections of text that look something like this:

"As you can see in Exhibit (XXX) the plaintiff will need to justify his expenditure.

further down in the document:

"Please refer to Exhibit (YYY) for details about this case"

These cross reference links - ie the words Exhibit (XXX), Exhibit (YYY) will "jump" to the actual exhibits (which appear as separate documents included in the appendix of the larger document).

My question:

1. What is the best way to create these jumps - as cross-references / hyperlinks / or bookmarks in the document?

2. The client wants these cross reference links to be "dynamic" in nature. What I mean by this is that if they have the following in the document:

Exhibit (1)
Exhibit (2)
Exhibit (3)
Exhibit (4)

If they want to "insert a new Exhibit (2)" between the old Exhibit (1) and Exhibit (2), all the other Exhibits and their respective numbers would be automatically re-numbered so the pattern would look like this:

Exhibit (1)
Exhibit (2) <---- the new Exhibit (2)
Exhibit (3)
Exhibit (4)
Exhibit (5)

What is the best way to do item #2. I am thinking some sequential field in word

Thanks for any insights into tackling this one.

John Falloon

(which appear as separate documents included in the appendix of the larger document)

Will the exhibits be part of the same document?

John,

I'm not all that good with Word, but we do something like that with our documents at work. At the figures, we
insert-> caption.
The caption automatically gets numbered.

When we want to refer to the figure in the text, we
insert -> cross reference.
If the reader clicks on the cross reference, it takes him to the caption.

If a new figure is inserted before other figures, those other figures are automatically renumbered.

Best Regards,
Walter

1. It is important to answer Lillabeth's question. You can not refer to a portion of text in an appendix as a "separate" document. If the text is in the document...it is IN the document, and is not separate.

2. please clarify dynamic. Yes, you could maintain the linkages, but are you asking if you can dynamically change the labeling? It appears this is what you want - and of course I can see why. You can do the numbering (labeling), but I am not sure you can do that and the linkages. It would in fact depend entirely on whether you did them as cross references, hyperlinks or bookmarks.

Gerry

The exhibits in the appendix to the best of my knowledge will be "part" of the main document. In other words, they will be inserted -> file into the main document in the appendix so they will act and behave like additional pages in the main document.

I hope this is clear

Then I would do the same as Walter suggested. In the Caption dialog box, you can even create a new label (maybe 'Exhibit') instead of using the built-in labels and that label will be available for future captions.

I am helping John with solving this issue. The dynamic numbering in the document is to appear within any giving paragraph. So for example:

text text text text texttext text text text texttext text text text texttext text text text text(Exhibit 3)
Now, the client would like to be able to insert additional text with a "new" Exhibit 2, for example, between the exisitng first two "Exhibits". If the client enters more text, then the current Exhibit 2 will become Exhibit 3 (and the current Exhibit 3 will automatically change to Exhibit 4) because of the added text and new Exhibit 2.

My thought is to modify Caption Style so it is not bolded, centred text.

(I hope this help and does not confuse things)

thanks
Laura

Hi John,

Since the exhibits will end up being included in the document, the easiest way to do this would be to create a specific 'Exhibit' style for the exhibit headings in the appendix.

If you go to the end of the document, where the appendix is to be, the following process will create such a style:
1. Insert a new paragraph.
2. Choose Format|Style|New
3. Name the style 'Exhibit', select the existing style it's to be based on (eg 'Normal'), and the style for any following paragraph you might create (eg 'Normal').
4. Format the style's font to suit your needs (eg 16pt Arial Bold)
5. Format the style's paragraph layout to suit your needs (eg Right Aligned, no leading space, and 'Page break before').
6. Format the style's numbering via 'Numbered|Customised' with 'Number ' before the number in the 'Number format' box, '0' alignment and '0' indent.
7. Format the style's tabs as 'Clear all'.

After doing all this, you'll have your 'Exhibit' style set up and ready to use, and your first 'Exhibit' heading - numbered 'Exhibit 1'. Copy & Paste this paragraph a number of times for other exhibits. For each exhibit, you might want to add some meaningful text to the heading. below these headings is where you'll use Insert|File/Object/Picture etc to add the body of the exhibits later on.

Next, go back into the 'body' of your document and, where this exhibit is to be referred to, use Insert|Cross-reference', choose "Numbered Item" for the 'reference type' and "Paragraph Number" for the 'insert reference to'. Note how only the words "Exhibit 1" appear. Repeat this process for each of your other exhibits.

Now, if you need to re-order the exibits, or insert new ones, all you need to do is to move them around/insert them into the appendix, and the links in the body of the document will update to reflect the new order (eg if you insert a new 'Exhibit 1', the existing 'Exhibit 1' will become 'Exhibit 2').

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back