Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Creating DSN in code - problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

db999

Programmer
Jun 27, 2001
GB
Hi
I am trying to create a SQL Server DSN using code. I want to create the DSN for a specified server, database, username and password. I can create a DSN using SQLConfigDataSource without specifying a username and password however when I do specify a username and password the SQLConfigDataSource function fails. I need to create the DSN for a third party product and want to avoid using trusted connections.

Please see the following code example which is based on MSDN article Q171146 HOWTO: Create and Remove a DSN in Visual Basic

Code:
Option Explicit

'Constant Declaration
Private Const ODBC_ADD_DSN = 4        ' Add system data source
Private Const vbAPINull As Long = 0&  ' NULL Pointer

'Function Declare
Private Declare Function SQLConfigDataSource Lib "odbccp32.dll" _
(ByVal hwndParent As Long, ByVal fRequest As Long, _
ByVal lpszDriver As String, ByVal lpszAttributes As String) _
As Long 

Private Sub Command1_Click()    
Dim intRet As Long
Dim strDriver As String
Dim strAttributes As String

'Set the driver to SQL Server
    strDriver = "SQL Server"
    'Set the attributes delimited by null.
    strAttributes = "SERVER=SERVER1" & Chr$(0)
    strAttributes = strAttributes & "DSN=DSNTest" & Chr$(0)
    strAttributes = strAttributes & "DESCRIPTION=Test DataSource" & Chr$(0)
    strAttributes = strAttributes & "DATABASE=pubs" & Chr$(0)

'Uncommenting the following causes SQLConfigDataSource to fail
    'strAttributes = strAttributes & "uid=sa" & Chr$(0)
    'strAttributes = strAttributes & "pwd=password" & Chr$(0)

intRet = SQLConfigDataSource(vbAPINull, ODBC_ADD_DSN, strDriver, strAttributes)
    If intRet Then
        MsgBox "DSN Created"
    Else
        MsgBox "Create Failed"
    End If

End Sub
I am trying to connect to a SQL Server version 7.0 using VB6 Enterprise and the version of my odbccp32.dll is 3.520.6019.0

Any help would be really appreciated
Thanks
David

Hey db999, maybe you should consider going around every single users computer and putting the dsn on manually....................just a thought.

All the best

Hey db999,

Did you ever figure this one out? I am having the same problem... I need to connect with SQL authentication using sa but for some reason I get an error when I use UID and PWD. I also tried using lastuser but did not seem to work. I noticed that the registry entry just has LastUser and not password, can't figure it out.

Let me know if you figured this one out..

Thanks,

MDA

MDA;
Have you tried a search on this forum for DSN? This question has been answered many times! Let me know if this helps

'There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.'

MDA,
Sorry I never did get the code to work. I ended up using trusted connections.
When running the SQLConfigDataSource() function you can use the SQLInstallerError() function to get the reason why the SQLConfigDataSource() failed.

See following link for details

In my case the error message was 'Invalid keyword-value pairs'. Looking into this a bit further I found an article on
the Microsoft website specifing the allowed keyword-value pairs for SQL Server. This can be found at

There is no mention of including the username and password as keyword-value pairs so I assume this is not possible.

johnwm, I searched the site and cannot find anthing that helps with this particular error. Any code that I use returns the same error. Perhaps you could point us at a specific posting.
Thanks.
db999

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back