Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Creating Dial-up connection 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

TarsierSpectral

IS-IT--Management
Oct 21, 2003
US
When I try to setup a new dial up connection via the wizard, I can't click on Dial up because it is grayed out.
This is exaclt what I am doing.
In Network Connections I click on Create a new connection
Select "Connect to the network at my workplace"
Then when I go to the next screen Create the following connection: both Dial-up and Virtual Private Network connection are grayed out.
I did a search in Google for this problem and I found out to check "Remote Access Connection Manager" service to see if it is running. Well it was not running but when I attempt to start it I am presented with the following message "could not start the Remote Connection Manageer service on Local Computer Error 5: Access denied"

I am not sure what else I could try.

Looks like you have a permissions problem. Are you running as an administrator? You can also go into safe mode and try from there.

OK, I got this fugured out and I got my Dial up connection set up but I can't connect!

I get a message "Opening port... Error 678: The remote computer did not respond..."

What should I do about that. I verified that there is no issue with the server on the other side

Maggieddd,

Basics: Do you have a modem on this machine?

Is it connected to a phone line?

In CP > System > Hardware Devices > are there any
conflicts?

If the above is not what you are attempting to accomplish please post back with the details of what it is that you are trying to get done.

rvnguy
"I know everything..I just can't remember it all

MS WORD can only be started in SAFE MODE. WHAT CAN I DO?

Of course I have a modem on this machine. I wouldn't be trying to dial out otherwise. Yes, it's connected to the phone line. No there are no conflicts.

What I am trying to do is dial out and I get this message
"Opening port... Error 678: The remote computer did not respond..."

Not sure how else I can explain it more clearly

Maggieddd,
"Remote Access Connection Manager"

Was not trying to offend, but the RACM is for accessing a dialup through a gateway. This is why I was asking what I asked. I was fairly sure that you had one(modem) but was confused why you were trying to use RACM.

You might try:

Create New Connection > Connect to the Internet >
Setup Manually > Connect using a dialup modem

Cross fingers that this is not also grayed out.

rvnguy

Maggieddd,

BTW these links may provide some assistance:

Get Started Using Remote Desktop

Avoid the Commute: Work at Home

What Is Connection Manager?

Hope This Helps

rvnguy

Usually an error 678 means either the username or password is wrong, or you are dialing the wrong phone number to connect.

I would try a different access number, and check the realm to which you ar logging into, does it require just your username or your username@blah.com etc.

You may also want to try an init string, to slow down the speed of the modem so they can both communicate at teh same speed

You may also find this helpful:

Cliff
A+, Net+, Linux+, Server+

Actually SEEGEE error 691 is an incorrect username/password.

error 678 means that you got no answer or a fast busy signal when you tried to dial the number.

1) call the number yourself and see if you hear a modem respond (sound like fax machine) (if you can hear it the number is good, if you can't change number)

2) listen for excessive line noise (static on the phoneline) THIS WILL PREVENT YOUR COMPUTER FROM CONNECTING

3) make sure the dialing rules are correct ( for exp...you need to dial area code or you put a code for call waiting but you don't have call wating)

4) reinstall tcp/ip

well i am an ISP and would like to help so let me know if this works and if it doesn't i'll give you other steps. also let me know what kind of OS your using. that will help me alot on giving you steps.

good luck.

The supperior man thinks always of virtue, the common man thinks of comfort.

-Confusius

I have seen this sometimes when the "Wait for Dialtone" option is selected and the phoneline times out whilst waiting for the modem to dial.

-----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"
-----------------------------------------------------

question for you MAGGIEDDD.

are you using the manual connection right now to try to connect? if so, after you reinstalled TCP/IP, this is most likely to be a modem problem now.
Now what you can do is check your PHONELINE to see if there is lots of static. (if so CALL YOUR phone company and ask for them to perform a DATA TRANSFER test to see if your phoneline can support data transfer.) if your phoneline from computer to modem is more than 6 feet shorten it to about a maximum of 4.
Lastly do a HYPERTERMINAL test and see if your modem connects this way (if it doesn't then you most likely need to update your MODEM DRIVERS.)

IF YOU STILL HAVE THE SAME ISSUE THEN I'M SORRY TO TELL YOU BUT YOUR MODEM IS THE PROBLEM

*QUICK NOTE: CHECK TO SEE IF YOU HAVE AN INITIALIZATION STRING ON YOUR MODEM (IT MIGHT BE AN INCORRECT ONE) TAKE IT OUT AND GO TO TO GET A CORRECT INIT STRING FOR YOUR MODEM.)

WELL GOOD LUCK

The supperior man thinks always of virtue, the common man thinks of comfort.

-Confusius

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back