Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

creating database for financials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 18, 2002
US
My company wants me to develop a database in access that can do all the finacial reporting for the company. This included Profit/Loss, Balance Sheets, etc. We have a DOS based system, so I will be coming up with models from some data mining to pull this information into excel and then import into Access. Is there a good model for this type of database in Access already? Any suggestions? Thanks!

If you do a search on for "microsoft access accounting system", you will find stacks of existing (Access accounting) systems, some of which might be suitable for your company. Some of them can be modified by you to customise / enhance according to your requirements.

Some are freely downloadable, for trial purposes. Before you do this though, check out the blurb on the web site to see whether the product seems to meet the requirements / budget etc.

Starting from scratch is of course an option, but I'd suggest that it might not be prudent to re-invent the (whole) wheel.

Good luck; perhaps someone else can provide more product specific info / recommendations to you.

Steve Lewy
Solutions Developer
steve@lewycomputing.com.au
(dont cut corners or you'll go round in circles)

Melissa,

There are probably 10,000 accounting systems out there.
Of those, maybe 500/1000 or so Access based accounting packages.

Of those, maybe half actually work and of those that work, only some include the source code.

Seems like if you want an Access Based accounting system, then you want one that works, provides the source code and has all(most) of the features you need.

I have worked with several very good Access Based Accounting packages and would be happy to share that information with you. The problem is, these forums tend to not like selling and advertising in the forum disscussion area.

Therefore, I would be happy to email and share my experiences with some of the Access Based Accounting packages that I have worked with. Just send me an email so I can send you that information: hapowell@fcs-software.com

Note - Some important things to Consider:
When selecting a package, Remember Some of these Basic Questions:
1) Is the Access Source Code included.
2) Is there an Enterprise (SQL) version also available.
3) Can you speak with other End Users of the package you are selecting.
4) Does the package cover your basic requirements.
5) Is there a User's Group to which you can join.
6) Has the vendor who developed the package willing to support a modified version.
7) Has the developer been in business for several years.
8) Are there many endusers (Over 100 satisfied users)
9) Can you use the backend data.
10) Is there a per user licensing fee required. If so how much.

Personnaly, If you are going to write your own accounting system, starting with a package that all ready exists is a very cost effective method, as long as you can get your hands on the source code for your own enhancements.

Hope This Helps,
Hap [2thumbsup]

Access Add-on developer [pc] - [americanflag]

Just to be clear, I need to design something that needs little if any data entry for the end user. Our current accounting system is DOS based, and does not produce the reports we need for financial analysis. I need to design a database that stores the information I pull in from the DOS program and the end user can run reports to see the data in ways they can use it. If this is what you are talking about above, let me know, I would like some information.

If not, any suggestions on where to start programming?! Thanks!!!!

Melissa,

I guess I misunderstood you. I thought that you were going to replace your accounting system.

Yes, you could always buy a low end accounting package, import your data and then use the built accounting package reports to produce the needed reports. (If they included reports satisfy your needs)

I believe that this would more than likely be over kill.

Don't get me wrong, I loved DOS, but Have you ever thought about replacing your 10 year old DOS application with a more current Windows based application. Seems like you will be fighting uphill battles if you stay with DOS app.

Anyway, Contact me If you like, otherwise,
Good Luck,
Hap [2thumbsup]

Access Add-on developer [pc] - [americanflag]

Have you explored the Access Template applications that ship with Office? These may give you a starting point for your app.

HTH
Lightning

I would love to replace our DOS system, but getting the executives to spend money on IT - NOT GONNA HAPPEN. ;) Yes, I looked into the templates that came with Access - I'm gonna start there. Those templates really don't like table modification, do they? heh, heh.

Actually what you will find is that all the built in templates for P&L/BS/SofCF are nowhere near useable. If you can get your DOS files migrated easily into Access, You will find that writing the P&L and BS custom reports are pretty straight forward. Just lots and lots of grouping based on Account Number. SofCF is a whole other matter. Most likely you will want to spend most of your time thinking about the easiest way to import the data into access, espically if you will be doing it monthly.

If you would like some suggestions about table layout you can email me.

I have the templates built in Monarch (data mining software you might have heard of) to export the P&L and BS data into tables, but yes I would love some tips on table layout. I'll need to do a lot of group by accout description, I feel, from this point. The company is not as focused on SofCF as they are Dollars/day. thanks!

EasyTarget? Still out there? Just wondering if you had the table suggestions. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back