Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

creating chart borders/outlines in my report

Status
Not open for further replies.

paradia

Technical User
Jun 29, 2004
CA
Hi All.

I have a report that is grouped. I would like the information that is in the Detail line to appear as though its in a chart.

I've tried to create a chart by drawing lines that separate each field in the Detail area and are exactly lined up to similar lines that separate each field title above. However, this is painful and it is also sloppy - the results change every time I run the report, sometimes the lines line up, sometimes they don't. Sometimes the grey rectangle I used to highlight the titles is properly surrounded by lines... other times there are gaps and bleeds.

There just doesn't seem to be a clean way of doing this - which is very frustrating.

The way to to display query/calculation results as a column or line chart (vertical or horizontal), is to calculate the length of a label, textbox or a line based on the report's source values.

For example:

If a Table/Query field value is 58 and the bar's 100% length is is 4" then, the report's object (a control or a line) is 58% of 4". Note that the control values in VBA code must be specified in Mips! 1" = 1440 Mips or 1cm = 567 Mips. Therefore the control's length/height is .58 x (4 x 1440) = 3340.8 Mips or 2.32". This does a very neat job of a bar chart and you can also manipulate the color and format, etc.

To do this, create a subreport of the "chart" design and embed it into the main report, usually in the Detail section.

Win2000P/Acc2000 - It's best to stay with products that work.

Here is my address in plain text -> ineuw(AT)aei(DOT)ca

Win2000P/Acc2000 - It's best to stay with products that work.

Thanks for both of your responses. I realized that my initial question probably wasn't clear. I think I used the term "chart" where I wanted to use the term "table".

What I'm trying to create is a report that displays the detailed information in a table format. The header information should line up with the detailed information below it and the lines separating the fields should align correctly as well.

Sorry for any confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back