Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Creating catalogs

Status
Not open for further replies.

nimmy99

Technical User
Oct 16, 2002
US
HI,

I am new to Cognos. I would like to know the source to collect information about cognos Impropmtu, IWR, Powerplay and upfront other than PDFs. And I would like to know the following things to start with:

1. What are the user privilleges to create a catalog?
2. Where create such a user?
3. Which tool is used to for creating catalogs?
4. How to create the catalog?

Please give me some information. from that I can develope my knowledge.

Thanks in advance,

There is very little third party documentation on cognos products. The only book I've ever seen online is "Impromptu Startup" by Brian Olah. I cannot recommend it as I've never seen the book in the flesh.

If you can get your hands on the boxes that the software shipped in, there are normally books for the particular cognos product in there. You will not be able to find the whole range of the pdf manuals, but at least you'll have the starting books.

nimmy99,

The PDFs along with the tool are the best thing to start with.

Regarding ur questions:

1. What are the user privilleges to create a catalog?
User Previlages ??? U mean OS level user? I didn't get u.

2. Where create such a user?
Do u mean a Catalog user?? Not clear.

3. Which tool is used to for creating catalogs?
Impromptu Administrator

4. How to create the catalog?
Thats the startup thing in Impromptu. Only using a catalog, u create reports & all other stuffs.
Discovering Impromptu - PDF will surely help u.

Prasad
RPrasad1@Chn.Cognizant.com

When i click on the Catalog option in the impropmtu, everthing is greyed out except open command.

Nimmy 99,
I believe it is grayed out because you are running Impromptu User and not Impromptu Administrator..so you can't create Catalogs...hope this answer is still relevant..to you.cos I see it's been close to 4 months..but just putting in my 1 cents

Thanks,
Tusky
IT/Programmer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back