Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Creating bulk recipients in Exchange 5.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

sx3

Technical User
Jun 27, 2003
GB
Does anyone know how to create lots of custom recipients? I have 25 mail accounts that need to be created as custom recipients.
Any help will be aprecieted.

That was quick. I shall try that. It has been quite a long time since I used 5.5. Can you refresh my memory on the following;
Export Custom Recipient to a csv file
Amend the Obj-Class to remote

...can you just import it as it is ?

Your question confuses me. Exported Custom Recipients already have an Obj-Class of Remote.

Sorry my mistake.
There are two ways I can do this.
1. Export custom recipients (currently only 4), add the 25 users in the csv file and then import it back.
2. Export mail recipients (currently 60), locate and change the 25 user’s Obj-class to remote, remove the other users and finally import the csv file.

Is it as simple as that or do I need to change the headers or something on the csv file?

I think maybe you need to read the link stuff again for a fuller understanding.

Changing mailboxes into CRs is slightly problematic as they have a slightly different set of fields - for instance, the 'e-mail address' (singular) is vital for a CR, whereas for a mailbox it's blank, but then you need to consider the 'e-mail addresses' (plural) field.

Explorting the current CRs is a good way of getting a default set of headers (although by no means necessarily all the fields they have set), but you don't need to include the existing CRs in the file when you reimport (unless you're changing any of their fields). It is possible to simply import an exported file, but I would urge you to read up on and use the Mode field (has to be the second column, after Obj-Class), it can save you some difficulties.

You are correct I did notice the CRs have different fields. I therefore exported the current CRs to get the default set of headers. Unfortunately I have run out of time to investigate and therefore done them manually. I will definitely read up on the Mode field as I am curious how to resolve this for future reference.

Many thanks for your effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back