Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Creating an Index from a list of Words in rtf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Humphreyb

Technical User
Jul 26, 2006
GB
I have a list of about 1,000 words that I would list InDesign to find and index every occurence of in a 300 page document. The list of words was compiled by a very cool piece of ancient concordance freeware called CONC.

I have placed the text I need to index in an InDesign CS2 document and I would like to index the words generated by my concordance program. I have tried the 'shift-option-cmd-[' approach on a hard-return delimited list of words pasted into the end of the document, but all I get is a reference to the words I have pasted from the concordance, not from the document proper.

I would like to avoid having to go through the list of words and indexing them manually and individually, obviously.

Any ideas?

Maybe my answer is not useful at all, but this is what I would do I had the same problem. If I understood, this is a very easy simple thing to solve with VB and maybe with a script. You do a for-next loop for the 1000-word list (that maybe belong to a text frame), then, inside of it another loop for every page, and inside of it, for every word, you compare, and if it matches, you obtain the current page number, and so on. I know that writing scripts is not always a joyful thing , but it works.

guillermo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back