Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Creating an auton run CD to auto install VB project 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

madmax11

Programmer
Aug 4, 2001
US
Created the setup program for my VB project using the Package and Deployment Wizrd in VB 6.0. My intention is to make a CD for distribution that allows the end user to simply pop the CD into the CDRom drive and have the CD automatically install the executable on the client's computer. Any ideas and suggestions to do this efficientlly will be greatly appreciated.

Hey MadMax,

Here's the steps you'll need. I got them from TechTV by doing a search for Autorun, in case you want to see some of the other articles that came up.

Later,
Jack

Determine what you want to autorun off the CD. Autorun is like the startup folder in the Windows Start bar. Any file or shortcut placed within the Autorun.inf file will launch automatically.

Create a new text file in a text editor. Type:
[autorun]
OPEN=*.*

Replace the first star with file name and the second star with the file extension of the app you wish to auto launch. If the file does not reside in the root directory of the CD, you must add the appropriate directory and a " " before the filename (e.g. OPEN=myfoldermyfile.exe). Save the text file as "autorun.inf".

When you burn the CD, add the autorun.ini file to the root directory of the burned CD.

Enable auto insert notification on the CD drive. You're all set

jfrost10:

Thanks for your detailed instructions. If I may request your indulgence for another moment, I would like to encapsulate the procedure as follows:

Step 1: Create the autorun.inf file, in this case, the contents would be "OPEN=setup.exe" (setup.exe being the executable created by the P&D Wizard)

Step 2: Burn the CD with the following 5 files-autorun.inf, setup.exe, setup.lst, CAB files and the support folder in the root directory of the CD.

Is my understanding correct?

The only thing that is unclear is enabling auto insert notification on the CD drive. I am using CD Creator to burn my CD. Is this sufficient, or would you suggest using something else?

jfost10, MrMoocow:

Thanks for your help. I will try that and see how that works. Appreciate your help.

#-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back