Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Creating an ASP Calendar

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobby8685

Technical User
Mar 5, 2006
US
I need to create a calendar for a webpage. I found this downloadable calendar that I may use. However I know little to nothing about some of this stuff. Below are the instructions that comes with the file. What is a virtual directory and how do I create one? And how do I assign Read and Script? Thanks for any assitance.

2. Create a virtual directory in your PWS or IIS server and point it to the calendar folder

3. Assign Read and Script permissions to this virtual directory

Do you have a web server running? If not, you need to do that to run ASP scripts. With Windows XP Pro, IIS is included with the OS. PWS is included in Windows 98, and is a web server, as well.

Lee

So all I have to do is access the IIS within Wndows XP. OK, I will try to figure that out. What about assigning Read and Script? Thanks for the help.

You need XP Pro, not XP Home. Make sure you have that, do a Google search for Set Up IIS XP Pro, and you should have all the instructions you need.

Lee

Thanks for the help. I have XP Home and a google search came up with multiple warnings about installing IIS on Home. I will look for another way or calendar to use. Thanks for your help.

If Google doesn't work out (although I've never had an instance where I didn't get the information I was looking for through a search there) check out the IIS forum here on Tek-tips.

- George

I will found out what type of server the webpage will sit on in a few days. I think it will probably be a server from EasyCGI.com. And Google is providing answers that pretty much reflect what was told to me and expected. I will try out the IIS forum, seeing as I did not even know that was there.

However I did come across a PHP calender. It seems I still need virtual server for that to appear functioning on my computer. To use the PHP file, all I have to do is drag it in place or is ther more to it? Thanks for all the assitance.

Just where, exactly, do you want to set up this calendar page? Is it...
[ol]
[li]On the internet (or maybe on an intranet) where you upload the page(s) to another machine - a server - in order for them to work (this is the most likely scenario).[/li]
[li]On a PC(, Mac, whatever) that is also set up to serve pages to the internet.[/li]
[li]Just on your own PC - it won't be accessible on the net[/li]
[/ol]
If you tell us more about what you want to do, it'll be easier to advise you.

-- Chris Hunt
Webmaster & Tragedian
Extra Connections Ltd

2. On a PC(, Mac, whatever) that is also set up to serve pages to the internet.

It is for a client. It is not a make or break feature, but I said I would see what I can do. They are webpages being created in Dreamweaver that are going to be accesible by the internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back