Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Creating a Variable Web Address 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

scrimej

Programmer
Dec 22, 2004
US
We are running SQL Server 2005 on a Windows 2003 Server.

To access the reports we go to
Having that hard coded server name bothers me in the sense that if all of our users and websites point to "servername" and then we move this product to another server we have a mess.

Is there anyway anyone knows of to make that first address a pointer to so that the users could just use and this would redirect to whereever SQL Reporting Services was running?

Thanks,
Jeremy

We have a DNS entry so that all the users need to do is type "reports" in the address bar.

I have been working with our Web Developer on this and he has been able to use where reportserver is the variable name we are using to redirect and reports is the virtual directory created in SRS.

Are you able to go to the top level address like you say "reports" and this directs you to the reports virtual directory in SRS?

Thanks,
Jeremy

Yes, but Report Manager is the default web app on the server.

... So in IIS Admin on the property sheet of the default web on the "Home Directory" tab I have the raido button for REDIRECTION to a URL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back