Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Creating a Trust Relationship

Status
Not open for further replies.

robbied69

IS-IT--Management
Sep 22, 2006
GB
I was wondering if the following scenario is possible. We have a 2 servers. One is used for authentication, holding files etc. The other is connected to it but doesn't have Active Directory installed. We only use it for development nothing major. What we want is to create a trust relationship between the 2 servers. Is this possible seeing as one of the servers doesn't have Active Directory installed.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Well a trust is between two domains so no. Could you not just add the member server to the domain?

When you are the IT director, it's your job to make sure the IT works. If it does work they know already and if it doesn't, they don't want to hear your pathetic excuses.

Sorry, I may have misled you a little. The server is a member of the domain. But it doesn't have AD installed on it. Is it still possible?

If the server is a member of the domain there is already an inherent trust. I.E. the server will allow users and groups from the domain access to it's local resources.

If this is not what you mean then you'll have to explain in more detail what you are trying to achieve.

basst is heading exactly where i was going to go. The only reason to create a trust is so two or more seperate directory services can authenticate users or services from each others domain without actually having an account in that domain. As your server is a member server it will have it's own computer account so a trust isn't necessary.

When you are the IT director, it's your job to make sure the IT works. If it does work they know already and if it doesn't, they don't want to hear your pathetic excuses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back