Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Creating a textbox...the good old way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tcollins

Programmer
Sep 12, 2000
US
Ok, before the day's of Visual this and Visual that, one created instances of windows with the CreateWindow() function. This I know, and I'm happy. Does one know how to create textboxes and other such controls within the newly created window as well? True, I could go forth using the 'visual' component, but as I'm learning backward (from DirectX to normal windows), I would like to know the 'right' way to do it. Also, I'm interested in hearing of good books on this subject. Yes, I have one of those "Learn xyz in 30 days" but it doesn't cover any of the good stuff. I need to learn the non-easy way...the right way. Any takers? Thanks.

Taylor

It sounds like you'd benefit best by being pointed to the PSDK (Platform Software Development Kit) for MS Windows. The MS Visual C++ kit, MFC, is a C++ wrapper for these lower-level functions. You can write windows aps in regular C using the PSDK functions and including the single header file windows.h. You can compile Windows Platform SDK aps using pretty much any compiler too as long as you have the PSDK header files.

Visit
-Chris

Use the create function provided by MFC to create dialog controls in your window.

Sriks

> I'm interested in hearing of good books on this subject.

See 'Charles Petzold' books also ...

Cluts, Nancy Winnick
Programming the Windows 95 user interface / Nancy Winnick Cluts. ISBN 1-55615-884-X

Advanced Windows, by Jeffrey Richter, available through Microsoft Press

Good luck
-pete

tcollins -

In your call to CreateWindow, use _T"EDIT" as the classname for your editbox. Like Ghostsurfer says, you'll want the Platform SDK handy. I have a link to: in my browser, and can get to the SDK from there. If you bought Visual Studio, you get a couple of CDs with the same info, but the web site is always current.

Also, like palbano says, you need a book to give you some good pointers. I've always liked the Petzold book, even though he doesn't always do things in a manner that ought to be done for production code. I figure any guy who gets the Windows logo tatooed onto his arm must be serious about Windows programming. :)

Chip H.

Cool cool...I like what I'm hearing :)

I will have to check out that msdn.micro.... site and the books. In find that the more work I do on my end, the more I know what is going on...easier to 'tweek' :) Though this route comes with an inherient higher cost of ownership. Atleast now I have direction. Thanks to all for pointing me the way I need to go :)

Taylor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back