Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Creating a Super User

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 15, 2003
US
Hello everyone,

I have a user that needs to be able to add other users into a group that was created. He needs to give them read or read/write access. We only want him to be able to grant rights on that particular folder(s).
Say for instance: Paul and Willie need to add users into the Data/Autocad/Asblys group but he should not be able to add users into the data or autocad folder itself. can you help me?

Is Data/Autocad/Asblys on an NTFS partition? If so, then you have that functionality. Right click on the folder, and click properties, then click the Security tab. In here, you can add users and grant them certain permissions.

Do you mean to do this like *nix? I don't know of a way to do this in Windows...yes you can provide hybrid rights but you can't make that user an admin of a specific folder, like you can with *nix. At least I am not aware of any means of doing it...

Ok, I'm talking about one or two users getting permissions to add other users into folders or groups. But how do i give them permission or rights to add users into one group/folder but restrict them from adding users into other groups/folders?

Use delegation control on the OU in question that contains the groups

eg
ou1 has group1
ou2 has group2

if you want the user to manage group1 then give him/her delegation rights only to manage groups

repeat for ou2 if you want them to manage the group2

"Work to live, don't live to work"

"The problem with troubleshooting is that sometimes it shoots back"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back