Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Creating a Special Group 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

smil3y

IS-IT--Management
Jan 8, 2004
AU
Using crystal with VB I am able to create groups and have even managed to perform some formatting on the group using formula.
I have a query that provides several data fields including 'Lastname' the lastnames are sorted in ascending order. I can group by 'Lastname' but what I would like to do is group alphabetically. Can anyone assist me with creating a group ie A, b, c etc so I can list all lastnames under groups alphabetically.

Appreciate any help.

Create a formula to show left(lastname, 1) and group on that.

HTH,

Ella

I tried something like that but ended up with multiple groups ie there are many lastnames starting with A, B C etc so I end up with a group A before every lastname starting with A.

Do not select that formula among the fields to display, just group by the formula. Menu: Insert--? Group--> Pick your formula from the drop-down list.
For the formula you can use also
{lastname}[1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back