Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Creating a report from multiple filtered queries

Status
Not open for further replies.

montygee

Technical User
Oct 7, 2002
CA
I have several filtered queries that I want to place in a report. However, when I combine these queries on the report, the filter gets applied accross each query leaving me a blank report.
Anyone know how to show the data from each query on the same report

montygee,

Create a report for each of the queries, then insert each of the reports as a subreport on the main report.

VB6 - when I did this on MY pile of problems, the user was then required to enter the date and worker number criteria 6 times each for the main and subreport.

Any ideas on how to prevent that from happening?

DesertTrip,

That's a new twist that was not pertinent to MontyGee's question. I can think of several ways to take care of that problem. Without knowing the details of how your tables and forms are functioning, I would tell you to change the query design such that the criteria for each query comes from unbound controls on an open form, and that before your report runs, you need to get the date and worker number from your user and store them in those controls.

Depending on how your system is calling for the report to open, the simplest way is to present the user with an Inputbox that is stored to a control for the date and then another one for the worker number.

Then, as each of the queries is run for the report, it will get the date and worker number off the form.

Hope that helps.

VB6Novice, thanks for your answer! :) Now, let me see if I got this right:

1: Create a new form, that has unbound fields for each of my user criteria (or all criteria?)

2: Create a input box that feeds into that new form...one each for the date, name etc

If this is correct, how do I link it all to the report? I have seen someone do this once on a report and she said it was making a "report on the fly". Unfortunately, I did not get the details then of how she did this and fogured I'd never need to do anything that advanced.

Is there a technical name for these steps that I can research and find a explicit "HOW TO..." instruction page on? I can't find ANY thing about this in my manuals.

DesertTrip,

Trying researching synchronization. Any time you've got a main and a sub the key is synchronizing them. I've a number of data input forms and reports that are full of sub's that remain synchronized through the data entry or report process.

C *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Insanity is a matter of Perception. [yinyang]

Thanks CJtyo! It helps having a name to associate to something when you seek to research it further. I will go research that now and see what I can come up with. :)

DT

(btw: great signature!)

DesertTrip,

You're welcome. And you're right, having the correct terms makes a ton of difference in how quickly you can lay your hands on "help". :)

Thanks for the kudos on my signature. It's inspired by my brother who is certifiably schizophrenic. Makes you see life with a whole new perspective.

Be well and have a great weekend,
C *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Insanity is a matter of Perception. [yinyang]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back