Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Creating a printer capture for LPT4

Status
Not open for further replies.

snarron

MIS
Apr 3, 2000
US
I am trying to capture a network printer to a Windows 95 2nd edition LPT4 port. LPT1 - LPT3 are currently in use. When I attempt to capture LPT4 to a NetWare Queue I receive an error message stating that value is outside of the range. Is this a limitation in Win9X machines?

What's the format of the path that you're using? It's UNC pathing, right?

Yes it is UNC pathing. I can capture the LPT1, LPT2, and LPT3 ports with no problem on any Win9X computer. But I cannot capture the LPT4 port on these computers.

I'm assuming LPT1, LPT2, & LPT3 are all captured when you get this error message on LPT4, right?

If so, see if you can temporarily remove a capture from one of those LPT ports and try LPT4 again.

If it works, then it tells you that there must be some kind of limitation. If it doesn't work, can you try a different LPT port like LPT5 or LPT6? Can you try removing the capture on LPT2 and use it on LPT4 and see if that works?

If you could answer all these questions, that would be great cuz I'm trying to learn to!

~cdogg

Actually LPT1 is not captured because they have a local printer on their computer. LPT2 and LPT3 are captured while I am trying to capture LPT4. I have tried to capture LPT4 - LPT9 but cannot with any Win9X computer with a NetWare Queue. I have End Captured on LPT2 and LPT3 but still cannot capture LPT4 - LPT9. I can capture LPT1 - LPT3 on any NetWare queue.

I can capture LPT4 - LPT9 with a Microsoft TCP/IP queue but the printer will stop printer after a few pages and an error message stating "Cannot send data to LPT4" is displayed on the Windows screen.

Here's what I found on another site:

Network Printers
Registry Key: HKLM\Network\Novell\System Config\NetWare DOS Requester\Network Printers
Registry Value: [string] 0
Default Value: 3
Range: 0-9 printers
Client Version: Implemented by at least the 95/98 Client version 2.5 or higher.
Description: Sets the number of logical LPT ports the Novell Client can capture/redirect. This parameter allows you to capture and redirect LPT1 through LPT9. If you want to capture LPT4 or higher, you must set this value higher than the default of 3 to work.

Hope that helps...
~cdogg

Thanks for your help. I did a search on the Registry but could not find the Registry Key you mentioned. I am using the Microsoft Client for Netware Networks and not the Novell Client.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back