Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Creating a Print Server with an XP machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

SSAndre

MIS
Jun 21, 2004
US
Does anyone know how to create a Print Server with a Windows XP machine? What I am looking to do is create a simple print server with an old computer running Windows XP, basically just having the computer setup somewhere on the network with a printer attached to it, allowing users to print to this printer. If anyone has any ideas they would be appreciated.

Thanks

That is good information. Is there any article that discusses setting up Windows XP as a print server?

There likely is, but I have not come across one I can suggest.

Bruce Sanderson, MS-MVP, has a terrific site that includes a repository for the Microsoft Printer FAQ. Poke around a bit a Bruce's site:
FAQ direct entry:
Bruce Sanderson's Home for printing issues:
Just a fantastic wealth of information and troubleshooting.

Best Holiday wishes,
Bill

One final thought:

. There are hardware devices for printer servicing, and these may well prove less costly and less difficult to deal with rather than using a client OS such as XP;

. If you have to use XP, be certain to use Control Panel, System, Advanced, Performance - Settings, and set the "Visual Effects" to best performance, then click the "Advanced" tab at the top as set to "background" as the performance option.

Thanks for all of the information. It is not critical that I use an XP machine as a print server, but we have a corporate XP license and some computers sitting around that are not being used, so that is why I am exploring this option.

Thanks Again

FYI, XP only allows only 10 concurrent connections on a share, so if your print server is going to be busy, you would be better off using Windows NT/2000/XP server.

Or if you're feeling lucky, use Windows 98Se as this doesn't have the issue of limited concurrent connections... But of course no guarantee of stability....

Regards

Phil B

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back