Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Creating a path for an image

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roxon

Technical User
May 25, 2001
CA
I have a simple image in PSD format (black on transparent background). It's a company logo mainly composed of letters. Can I create a path around it to be able to transform it into an Illustrator object? (Therefore apply any effects/styles). I managed to outline it (by using Effects/Path/Outline object) which allows me to apply a fill color and gradient but that still won't allow me to transform the object or apply styles...

Thanks,

Chantal

There are three ways to do this, depending on how simple or complex your image is:
1. Use the AutoTrace tool in Illustrator to trace the logo as a vector object by clicking on the edges. It's located under the Bend tool button I think. It only works with quite simple shapes so you may have to trace a few shapes, use the direct selection arrow to clean them up and then use the Pathfinder tools to make it a compound object.
2. Use Adobe Streamline. This is a much more powerful version of the above tool but it is a seperate piece of software.
3. Redraw it manually using the Pen tool.

I would say the AutoTrace tool sounds like what you want.

I have a 4th solution that I prefer: the Extensis "make work path" tool. It allows you to set parameters like choke and tolerance, producing fast and elegant shapes.

greetings,
JB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back