Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

creating a new site in Sharepoint 2007 server? (portal)

Status
Not open for further replies.

markm75

IS-IT--Management
Oct 12, 2006
US

I cant seem to figure out how to do this.. i think i have created the second site.. but when i try to browse to it.. the page comes back with a 403 error.. blank page bacically.

I went into central administration.. applications management.. create new site.. put in everything there.. but alas, cant get it to work..

Any thoughts?

Is this a new site, site collection, or web application?

Or is it a new site from within an existing site? Intranet? Internet?

JohnQTech

sure.. ill clarify..

we have an existing (migrated from 2003 portal) portal site.. called intranet...

We are starting our intranet over, but i want to be able to access the old one to redesign the new one based on old content..

Is it possible to create 2 portal (root) sites on one server installation?

--

Here is what i did..

I went to central administration.. then to "Applications management"...

Then i clicked "create or extend web application".. then I did the option to "create site collection"

When i went to the new intranet..
It comes up.. but there arent multiple top menu items like in the old one.. there is a "sharepoint services" logo on the right.. when i click site actions.. i dont get the option to manage site content and structure like in the old one, where i can add menu items etc.

btw.. i also did the "manage this farms shared services".. i added a new SSP called Intranet2..

I'm not quite sure i understand this screen or what it does or if this is the culprit as well.

... I also noticed that on the "Manage this farms shared services"..

I have a main "category" titled Intranet (default).. under this is Intranet (administration site host).. then under that is Intranet2...

Then another category.. Intranet2.. under this is "sharepoint - mysite".

Then a category.. "sharedservices1" then under that spws (administration site host).

A few things here look wrong to me.

I believe you could have kept the same SSP for your sites, so that may be extra baggage.

If I am keeping up, then you wanted to create a New Web Application (using the original SSP should be fine) called Intranet2. Then from there, create a new Site Collection, and choosing which template you want (Collaboration Portal for example from the Publishing template category). Then from there begin building your new site. The Publishing templates give the multiple top row. If you go to Site Actions, then Site Settings you can manage the top row.

You really only need, to my knowledge, the single SSP. Not one for each site. I have a few, about 5 or 6, separate sites running on the single SSP. One of which is public, the others are Intranet. The Alternate Access settings help with this, combined with the Host Header and DNS.

I'm sorry if I'm on the wrong track. I did not realize how tricky this would be, meaning posting, without actually seeing stuff.

JohnQTech

Thanks..
Ill try switching templates in the meantime..

Here are some photos:

^note how it says sharepoint services on the right? is this normal now for a portal root site?

Note how i dont have manage content and structure here? How do i get this to appear like in our old site?

...I actually dont see a way to switch the template now.. after the fact.

Ah, I see now. What you have there is a 'Team' site which comes from the 'Collaboration' template section. I should ask a quick question. What is the new site meant for? I know you wish to model after the old one, however what is the intention behind the new site? If you want a "Portal" site, then you need to use the 'Publishing' template section, and choose a 'Collaboration Portal' as your template. This sets a top-level portal site up for you.

Looking at the second pic, I see you have the original default SharedService1, then two more SSP. It looks like the Intranet2 site is on the 'default' SSP on port 9550. On the Intranet2 SSP I think you created a My Site web application.

Is this the same box that is running your current Intranet site? Is that the 'Intranet' that is above 'Intranet2' on the default SSP 'Intranet'?

Bad news, you cannot switch the template, you must delete the site and recreate using other template. Or create new site using different name.

JohnQTech

Ah.. that was useful info.. I'll admit i'm still a newbie when it comes to the overall design in sharepoint, at least from the start..

The intent of this portal is to be our companies intranet.. a place where people go to get the latest documents .. or to view human resource areas.. or to the IT menu item where admins grab files and store files.. or the forum under IT where discusions can occur..

At least this is how the old one is setup.. I'm not sure that i will even need to create sites underneith the portal though? I have never really understood the need for seperate subsites.. I mean.. as it stands, in the old one.. you click IT, it takes you to a subfolder with it pages essentially.. not sure where the difference would lie there. We are a small company, 40 users or so and all. But we were going to have say a link that would take you to a page with Human Resources.. with document libraries there.. another main link would goto the IT, or another link to Quality Management System and subpages.

The new intranet2 isnt meant to be a subnet of the original.. but a brand new "portal", temporarily using the old content till i get everything moved over and recreated etc.

Everything is run off the same box.

It sounds like a portal site is the way to go. It gives the basic functionality, sets up a lot of other fluff that is good for Intranet (ex. Main Site, News Site, Site and some categories). From there you can create all the sub-sites you need and connect them to the portal site.

If you didn't intend on setting up that My Site on the Intranet2 SSP, you might want to get rid of it. It will be using resources, running a site, that no one ever uses.

Another thing to consider is putting your site on port 80 so you do not have to bother with the port numbers. I create our Intranet sites on port 80 to make my life easier. I just toss in the domain and use Host Headers.

So it sounds like you need to go into SharePoint Web Application Management, then Create or extend new Web Application, then Create a new Web Application. Go with port 80, name it, etc.

Then Create the Site Collection, using the info from my other post, create a Portal site.

Hopefully this helps!

JohnQTech

Thanks again...

Yeah.. actually it had the port number in the desc. but i actually did and do make them all port 80..

At this point i have under shared Services:

Intranet(Default)
-Intranet (administration site host)
-Sharepoint -Mysite

SharedServices1
-SPWS (Administration site host)

---

I had just deleted intranet2 to start over..

I'm still not understanding what this shared services page does/implies..

Do I want to create an SSP for the Intranet2, then eventually just delete the whole "group" called Intranet (Default)?

I'm not sure what the SharedServices1 is or if its needed.

A site which has some information on the SSP.

Hopefully that helps. It cleared a few things up for me.

I would not create any more SSP unless you find a reason to do so. The ShareService1 was created when you installed the product (MOSS2007) and you could actually be using that one for everything, but it does not matter. I wouldn't create any more as they seem unnecessary at this point.

I thought I replied to your post before, sorry. Was working on finding an answer to my own Excel Web Access issue.

JohnQTech

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back