Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Creating a mult-search tool/form 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

SherryLynn

Technical User
Feb 4, 2001
CA
I need to create a search tool in a database to search multiple criteria. I would like it to all be on one form where I can choose which criteria I would like to search. For example, by last name, file number, etc. From the records which come up to match, I would like to have a "button" where I can go to that record's details (the form for entering new/additional information for that record) and carry on from there. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can do this? I am not very familiar with VBA either.

Thanks,
Sherry

Hi Steve,

I posted a request before for a copy of your db. If you could send me one, I would really appreciate it. Thanks so much!

Elizabeth :)
snowy_ej@yahoo.com

Dear All,

I suppose this highlights a problem we have:
It seems to be quite hard for people to share an example of what they have done.

Looking above this post I can see many requests for Steve King's database which could take him some time out of his spare time (for spare time, read Life) to supply.

Is it possible for a download area to be made available, or would that change the nature of Tek-Tips too much.
I suppose it would not have to be on this site, nor the responsibility of Tek-Tips in any way.
Any Ideas anybody?

This is only a suggestion, I do realise that it would put more of a load on the good people who keep this Great Site running so well.

Regards Jim

I may be wrong, but I believe that Tek-Tips will not even consider having a common area to upload/download files because of the potential liability. Viruses could be transmitted, files could be hosed, etc., etc. Great idea in theory but implementation would be a problem. Sure would make things easier though.

Steve King

Growth follows a healthy professional curiosity

I did realise that Steve and therein lies the problem.
Anyone else got a solution to it?

We need a professional curiosity to solve it!!

:cool:

ME ME ME!!

I wanna join the bandwagon too!! Send as well if you get the time!!

THANKS!
Chance~

chad.bixby@whiteman.af.mil

I am also looking for a search tool, but not just on specific fields. I would like something like a search engine that would search all fields in a table for keywords, using things like AND, OR, and NOT between the keywords. Does anyone have anything like that?

can you please send a copy of the mdb to me too. gamisens@inter.net.il

Thank you

Hi Steve!

First, thanks for spending the time posting to this site. It really helps all of us that getting our feet wet with access programming.

Second, would you be kind enough to e-mail the sample database you created? I would greatly appreciate it!

wally fitzgerald
wmf@u.washington.edu

Steve,
I am sure you are getting a lot of request on your sample database for searching and I wouldn't mind getting it as the search tool from Access is not very intuitive. Can you please send me your sample db as well. Thanks in advance.

Waheed Beg
wbeg@ameri-debt.org

I just wanted to add to the discussion on what I found wrong with that code, but finally got it to work when using a subform. The piece of code that reads:
'Set Subform recordsource (or list box rowsource)
Me.Form.RecordSource = strSQL
'or
'me.lstSelected.rowsource = strSQL

the Me.Form.RecordSource = strSQL
should really be
Me.RecordSource = strSQL
this will set your subform automatically to retrive the found string

All,

I don't know if anyone noticed, but this thread made a quick jump from June 12, 2001 to Feb 25, 2002......roughly 8 1/2 months between posts. The Steve who offered to send someone a copy of his db may not even be around anymore......

That said, this seems to be a popular thing.

I went though this a while back and have developed the following system that has worked well for me.

I use 3 forms. One to gather search criteria, another to display results in a summarized form, and one more that displays all the detailed information of a record selected from the list in the 2nd form.

First is a search form that has a number of textboxes, combo boxes, and checkboxes. This form allows a user to enter criteria into any combination of fields and select whether the search some fields is exact or partial (i.e. "=" or "Like"). When the user has entered their criteria, they click a command button which builds the where clause of a SQL statement and then opens the 2nd form based on the resulting recordset.

The second form is a continuous form that displays the fields from the query generated by the first form. The double-click even of the controls on this form opens the third form displaying the details of the record that was double-clicked.

The third form is the form where records are actually entered/edited.

This may be enough for some of you to get started. I'll try to figure out how to post some kind of help document. I'll include more details on the forms and the code that makes them work. It will probably take me a couple of days to get this together and post it. _________
Rott Paws

For anyone who is interested, I posted an overview of a search tool I created and instructions for duplicating it at thread181-262790 _________
Rott Paws

Hi all,

I've been trying to make a search form for weeks now. Could any be so kind to send me the mdb file? I am sure I could learn a great deal from it. Please use this mail address: agamemnon@wanadoo.nl

Thanks,

Sheila

Steve,
Could you send the mdb to me as well please?

Thanks,
Survane@hotmail.com ---------------------
survane@hotmail.com

I HAD also problem with "Run-time error 2001 - You canceled the previous operation." and I finally found the solution. This *$#@ message is created by access when you try to pass to a function a field that can have a NULL value. Just NZ() to the parameters of your functions as follows:

function_name (nz(param1),nz(param2).....)

and VOILA... Problem Solved!!!!

Just ask if you have any questions

I HOPE I helped you.
John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back