Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Creating a java chat room

Status
Not open for further replies.

MatthewP

Programmer
Jan 16, 2001
GB
Hi, A web site that I run currently runs a very low-tech chat room written in Perl. I'm looking now to create this in Java. I'm trying to teach myself as I found that a great way to learn C,Perl,PHP etc.

Although I've got basic java down OK I'm not exactly sure what I need. I have my own Linux server so obviously I have to install a java server - is there anything anyone can recommend? Are there any really useful books on the subject that anyone knows about?

Thanks for any help..
Matt.

You might look into Java Network Programming : A Complete Guide to Networking, Streams, and Distributed Computing -- by Merlin Hughes

I think there are a couple possible ways you could go. You could use sockets, rmi, CORBA, or EJB to accomplish a TCP/IP connection between a client and a server. I think either a socket or rmi is the way to go here as the other two may be a little over-kill.

You might also want to consider if you want a peer-2-peer chart client, or one that invlovles a server. The easier implementation would definetly be with a server, and I think I would use rmi to accomplish this.

There are alot of good books and tutorials on rmi. I would suggest you look on java.sun.com for tutorials first before spending a bunch of money on an expensive book that doesn't provide you much more than what can be found on-line.

Good Luck.

-gc "I don't look busy because I did it right the first time."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back