Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Creating a incoming line for private? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ludit

Technical User
Sep 29, 2015
US
Hi,
The user has 4 POTS line and 1 of them is a private line.
User phone currently has 3 line appearance so I'm going to add one more, ie A B C D.

At the trunk lines config, the private number is on the first trunk with line appearance id of 701.
I then create label and add line appearance D on the fourth button and set it with action data as "701" and "immediate".
Anyone calling the private number, it will show up on line appearance D.

I'm not able to try it yet but after playing around with the manager, I was curious if this is how it should work since it looks pretty simple.

Thanks

You may need to do a bit more. Set the private line's Incoming Group ID to something other than 0 and add an Incoming Call Route for the new group ID that has the private line user set as its destination.

Stuck in a never ending cycle of file copying.

Line appearances - Aggh
learn to configure the IPO correctly using incoming call routes & abandon Line appearances- they are an unnecessary evil! even in this scenario

Do things on the cheap & it will cost you dear

Thanks, sizbut, I will report back soon.

@IPGuru
I never thought twice regarding to the line appearance since the phones comes with them as default.
I'm now a bit curious, can you link to me to where I can read more information about the unnecessary evil line appearance? Or a simple explanation would suffice.
Perhaps this might help me configure IPO more effectively.

@Greybeard191
LOL

line appearance since the phones comes with them as default." - No. The phones configure with 'call appearances' by default. 'Line appearances' are a different beast (hated by many).

Stuck in a never ending cycle of file copying.

ludit said:
I'm now a bit curious, can you link to me to where I can read more information about the unnecessary evil line appearance? Or a simple explanation would suffice.

The Avaya Documentation would b a good start
A line appearance button monitors the state of a line & rings if there is a call being presented - it is an attempt to provide Key & lamp functionality & is a very poor way of configuring a PBX which can route call more intelligently.

for the setup you require (a dedicated line) change the incoming group ID on the Analog trunk (you may want to change the Outgoing one well)
then create an incoming call route using that ID & point it at the extn or group the call is intended for.

The help files should explain all of these details.

Do things on the cheap & it will cost you dear

sizbut@ thanks for clarification!
IPGuru@ OMG, I was just trying to set that one up that other day on 3 POT lines but gave up since it requires additional changes and didn't want to complicate the current setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back