Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Creating a high res PDF in Quark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smile06

Technical User
May 11, 2005
GB
Hello

Does anyone know how to create a high-res PDF when using the print PDF option in OSX, as every time I print as PDF and open it in Acrobat it looks really low-res?

Any Ideas?

Thanks

Interestingly, I sent a pdf test page that was printing out 9 percent smaller for us to our printer for him to look at it. He said it was the correct size on his screen and his printer, which suggests the problem was something in our inhouse printer setup. The pdf, created through the print dialogue box, was fine it turns out. Proproductsjim. I'll bet you find out the same thing. Your ads were fine all along. Your printer is screwy.

To: hamphouse -- Hmmm.....that is rather bizarre. I have two printers, a Xerox Phaser 2135 color laser printer and a GCC 1212 b&w laser printer. I test printed a Quark generated PDF on both of them and they are both 93% of the original. There is something really odd going on here.....

Are you utilizing the 'scale (or fit) to page' option in Adobe Acrobat's or Adobe Reader's print dialog? If so, why haven't you read the post about it much higher in this thread?

- - picklefish - -
Why is everyone in this forum responding to me as picklefish?

Duh....I did read the post about it higher in the thread but I guess it went over my head. I just did look at the "Page Scaling" option which appears to default to "Shrink Large Pages" since I have never used this option before. Sure enough, when it is set to "Shrink Large Pages" it clearly indicates it will print at 93% and changing it to "None" pops it up to 100%. You would think the default setting would be "none."

The 8.5 x 11 document that I was attempting to print had .75" margins all the way around the live copy which would seem to be more than adequate to avoid having Adobe shrink it. I guess I am having difficulty understanding why a standard 8.5 x 11 Quark document with .75" margins printing onto an 8.5 x 11 piece of paper would require shrinking and what qualifies it as a "large document?

Adobe Reader/Acrobat is not smart enough to recognize that you have nothing in the margins. It will try to scale a 8.5x11" page to the imageable area of your printer's capabilities. In your case, you are unable to print on 7% of the page so Adobe Reader/Acrobat scales (even useless white area).

- - picklefish - -
Why is everyone in this forum responding to me as picklefish?

OK...that makes sense. Didn't think of that but now it seems obvious. Thanks for the info. I just proved that I can continue to learn something every day.....

I have a very similar problem with quarkxpress 6.1, except that I'm running it under Windows XP. When I try to export to PDF I get a message that I must have a PS printer set up to print to file. Well I've installed a ficticious HP4500PS printer, but nowhere can I find the "print to file" check box, so I'm still getting the error message. I remember getting this to work on another machine, but I can't remember how!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back