Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Creating a hidden (background) task in Windows 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

tombrown13

IS-IT--Management
Aug 30, 2001
US
I need to create a task in Windows 2000 pro, but want it to run in the background so as not to intefere with the user. Any ideas? I didn't see anything in task scheduler that would accomplish this.

tombrown13

what kind of task are you talking about? scheduled .bat job, program written in another language? how often will it run? what will it actually be doing?

regards,
longhair

for starters, just a simple .bat program. We are backing up specified directories to an archive server once a week. We also have a few maintainance scripts to run. they don't need to be run everyday, and do to bandwidth concerns, I don't want all machine running at the same time. I was just going to set up scheduled tasks, but I want them to be hidden from the user.

from the command prompt "AT" can add scheduled tasks that run in the background (or interactively).

"at /?" for complete syntax.

Nathan aka: zaz (zaznet)
zaz@zaz.net

zaznet - I actually wanted to take advantage of the different options for the "Scheduled Tasks" thought windows.

bcastner - that link is expired. do you have the info somewhere else?

Yes, use the direct thread link form:
thread616-839332

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back