Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Creating a forward in Exchange 5.5 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ndjp

IS-IT--Management
Apr 8, 2002
US
What I'm trying to do is create an alias that if I send it an e-mail it forwards it off to another external address. I tried creating an Internet E-mail account and gave it an alias, but that doesn't seem to work as I intended. So, I want to create a recipient that has an alias but doesn't have an information store, all it does is forward mail. How do I do this?

A custom recipient will work and add the user to the Address List(s), but the e-mail address for the custom recipient will be the real e-mail addy in a different domain (someone@anotherdomain.com).

If you want an e-mail addy at your domain (someone@mydomain.com) to forward to this other e-mail (someone@anotherdomain.com), then it's a two step process. I don't know if there's a way of getting around creating a mailbox or not.

What I have done is first create the Custom Recipient in Exchange Admin. This will have the user's Internet address (someone@anotherdomain.com).

Next, I create a full fledged mailbox for the user (this will have the someone@mydomain.com address). On the "Delivery Options" tab, I set the "Alternate Recipient" option to that of the Custom Recipient I just created.

You then have the option to deliver messages to both the recipient and the alternate, or just the recipient. I normally deliver to both so I can maintain a copy of any e-mail message sent to the user (just in case, you never know. . .).

Hope this helps. If there's an easier way to do this, hopefully someone else will respond, but, I know this way works. Good luck!

Also once you get the above done you can "Hide From Address Book" and nobody will see it but it will still foward. Just an FYI..

thanks guys .. it worked like a champ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back