Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Creating a Drop-Down List Box in MS Excel 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanmc

Programmer
May 31, 2001
CA
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone knows whether or not it is possible to create a drop-down list box in Excel? And if so, How would I go about doing it?

Thanks for your help,
Ryan.

Data-Validation-List ... what do you mean?

r

...Meaning select the cell you want the list box in, go to the Data Menu, Choose validation, in the "Allow" drop down list, choose List, then type in the values you want in the list (Comma seperated) into the "Source" text box

Wow. I posted the post you see above first. Then, I refreshed and didn't see my post. By that time, I had a few more minutes and gave you better info, and it's not there. Hmmmm..

Anyway, Sig has said to type in a list separated by commas. I prefer to put my values into a column off to the right, outside of my "viewable" range and not contiguous with the data. When you choose List, there's a box with an icon to the far right. Click on the icon. Select the list you typed in (and a few extra cells if you want, you can fill those cells in later without having to do the data-validation thing again). Click on the icon again, which takes you back to the Data-Validation dialog, and hit OK.

The dropdown will only show when you are in the cell you were in when you hit Data-Validation. If you want to, you can copy that cell down as far as you want. Even though it is blank, the data-validation info goes with it.
techsupportgirl@home.com
Brainbench MVP for Microsoft Word

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back